Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 97

Home Go-Thassos Comments
Options

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• Options
    DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi xkebabx, have a great time and you will have to give us all a wave from the right side of the screen next week lol
  • Options
    xkebabxxkebabx Member (+) Posts: 4
    Cheers Tone, Some great advice here! 15 times to Thassos, my you do love that island. Isn't it great when you really feel at one with a destination, I hope we get that feeling too.

We're staying at The wedding cake hotel ;-), I think that's what they call The Enavlion :-) We'll make sure we try some of those tavernas you mentioned and say 'Tone' recommended us to them. I'll let you know how we get on in Thassos on our return.

Thanks again for your insight.
  • Options
    Yes the Enavlion is know as the Wedding cake as it looks like tiers of icing with the balconies in blue and white, the meals are excellent so you shouldn't have any problems but not stayed in the rooms to comment
  • Options
    VintageVivVintageViv Member (+) Posts: 50
    Just had a fabulous two weeks of sunshine on Thassos. Stayed at the Stefanos Hotel in Golden Beach and was thoroughly spoilt by the hospitality of Polly and Stefanos. Great deal on for 31st May but don't believe all you read on the Thomsons website. Book your flight separately and get yourself a real bargain by dealing direct with the Hotel owners.
  • Options
    Hi VivChris,
    I know what you mean, Thomsons going into June/ July for 14 days are fully booked up until 12 July and are charging £550pp, however Thomson's are the only one's flying into Kavala and the flights will be as expensive as their holiday package if past experience is to go by. Failing that you have a 2.5 hour car journey from the other airport which only works if one is prepared to drive abroad and not really hassle free holiday for us but I guess if you can do it, it is a cheaper way if you were going to hire a car on the island.
  • Options
    Perhaps a few could get together on this forum and hire a minibus from Thessaloniki? There are some bargain flights out there, including Thomsons, so just keep checking! Everyone out there assures it is so much easier to do it yourself but, as you say, you must be OK about driving the 2.5 hours to get to Keramoti or get a taxi. Shame they don't have Airport Transfer Minibuses like the UK - hint, hint!!
  • Options
    Stefanos Hotel - Sunday 31st May - 14 Nights only £368.00 - great deal!
  • Options
    Hi VivnChris,

yes I see that, the Smaragdi was £90pp for a week on the first flight out there on the 3rd May, so it depends if the flight is full as to what offers come up. However, come high season the flights get full and the offers for flight only are terrible.
    Yes several hotels need to get together and pay / run a mini bus to collect guests to / from Thessaloniki for certain flights.
    Not sure how it would work though with different flights coming in
  • Options
    I see Vigli's restaurant on the corner has it's lights on tonight for the first time this season so it must be underway now lol
  • Options
    Fedra, Nisi (ex Playa de Oro) and Vigli not open first 2 weeks in May and a lot of the bars and restaurants along the front too, so it was very quiet!
  • Options
    yes worth knowing if you go out early thanks VivnChris, also I have been told by someone who was also out there the first week that there is now a new Atm machine near the Campsite in Golden Beach, so not so many long walks into Skala Potamia for money lol
  • Options
    ATM machine is open and has been placed by the entrance to the Camp Site in front of Playa de Oro tavern so it is very convenient for anyone staying at Golden Beach or Skala Potamia.
  • Options
    cooperkidscooperkids Member (+) Posts: 75
    Does anyone know average cost of eating out. 6 of us going would hate to havè to scrimp xx
  • Options
    Hi cooperkids,
    at Golden beach a litre wine between 6-9€'s, average mains look at 10€'s but obviously some will be less or more depending what you order. If you look on my trip report some way down in the community section I take a photo for the menu each night and show you our platesof food and you will be able to judge from that. Large beer is around 3€'s let me know if you can't find it
  • Options
    You can eat really cheaply on Thassos. Many restaurants in Golden Beach offer a starter (soup or salad), main course - Moussaka or Stifado (alternatives on every night) including glass of wine for 12 Euros per person, followed by delicious complimentary Greek Cake and Ouzo or Brandy.
  • Options
    Thanks for that sounds good and not a mcdonalds in sight - yeh xx
  • Options
    Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    It seems very quiet at the moment
  • Options
    ToneTone Member (+) Posts: 65
    Hi Wendy. After the Cosmos debacle hopefully you're all sorted for this year - we're off in early July - as always looking forward so much to our annual Thassos fix.

Still a bit concerned about the Greek position in the EU - apparently the time of reckoning will be end of June - hopefully Greece will stay - as regards Euros or Drachma even if it's an exit unless Greece has been secretly printing Drachmas I guess it will remain euros for some time.

Does anybody know if Conrad is still there with Speedy Cars this year - the first thing we will be doing is organising our hire car .
  • Options
    Hi Tone,
    you will probably know the Euro situation by July whilst we are away in the middle of it, the best thing is not to have all your eggs in one basket, eg the Atm but ensure you have enough cash to survive along with your cards should a problem arise
  • Options
    Found your trip report Delboy it was very interesting looks like you had a good holiday. We go on 7th june. Have you visited scala rachoni ?
  • Options
    Hi cooperkids
    No I haven't been to scala rachoni, the first year we pick Golden Beach as it sounded like there were more resto's to eat in and the beach looked nice. I did the first trip report in 2013 which showed the 4 village train ride and the 4x4 trip up the mountain and didn't venture beyond that as I don't drive abroad.
    The one of 2014 you looked at, I started to venture out on walks around the area and this year caught the bus into Thassos Town for the first time. Having done that, I hope do another trip in to see more of the Roman remains that I missed before. Hopefully I'll find different things to do and talk about and will do another report on this years holiday.
    We have certainly enjoyed the place going back 3 times now which we don't normally do but it has that something about it. I'm sure you will enjoy it
  • Options
    Hi Tone, We travel on the 7th Jun, flight only we are staying in the Yanna, behind the Sussie. We stayed there last year. My daughter flies out on Wednesday, they are staying in the Princess Golden Beach.
  • Options
    Good choice Wendy - we've often thought about doing our own thing especially as you can then choose where you want to go - as I've said before we love the Scala Potamia end of the bay and used to stay every year at Susies .

Strange that we both live on our Island here but go off on holiday to another Island !

Have a great time as I'm sure you will .
  • Options
    Thanks Tone, where do you live on the Island
  • Options
    Hi Wendy. We live in a village in the West Wight.
    We first went to Thassos in 1998 after finding a good deal on Teletext ( showing my age here ! ) - stayed in Thassos Town and hired a scooter for a few days ( not a good idea but that's another story ) One of the good things that came out of doing this was that we found Scala Potamia after braving those twenty odd corners going up the mountain and down the other side and dropping in to Golden Beach - a pretty scary experience on a scooter as my wife will testify :(
    At that time it wasn't as built up as it is now and the tarmac road between the two resorts didn't exist but we fell in love with the place . The following year we stayed at the Poseidon which was about half way along the strip - after this we just kept going back staying at Archillion ,Green Sea , Susies and in recent years Samardgi's. Obviously have seen a lot of changes over the years but the magic of the place is still there for us.