Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 98

Home Go-Thassos Comments
Options

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• Options
    Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    Hi Tone, like you we have going to Thassos since 1998, always staying in Golden Beach and Potamia. Although in those days Thomson's had more properties to choose from. We have been to most of the greek islands but Thassos is our favourite. We live in the South Wight, I worked over in Brighstone, Brook and Shorewell. It's very pretty over there.
  • Options
    ToneTone Member (+) Posts: 65
    These similarities are getting a bit spooky Wendy :) we too tried many other Islands before Thassos ! You have only a week left to wait - have a great time - let us all here know how you get on and if you get a chance have a look through Speedy's window to see if young Conrad is there for another year.
  • Options
    My daughter went today, and they are going to hire a care from Conrad, if he's still there. We will be calling to see him also. Counting the days.
  • Options
    cooperkidscooperkids Member (+) Posts: 75
    Hi Wendy. How does flight only work out - do you have to get your own ferry ?

• Options
    DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    I think you may get cheaper flights from Thomson's into Kavala early on in the season but people were telling me their flight prices were almost as dear as their all in packages in the main season. The ferry I was told costs 16€'s eachway for the car plus 3€'s per passenger. Most of the 'do it yourself' people fly with other airlines into Thessaloniki and hire a car for a 2.5 hour drive to the port. No good unless you are prepared to drive
  • Options
    Andy StephensonAndy Stephenson Member (+) Posts: 2
    Fly to Thessaloniki. Bus 78 I think goes from airport to bus station. Get the bus to Kavala for €20 IIRC. Then either get the ferry from Kavala to Prinou, or get the bus to Keramoti. All of the time tables are on the web somewhere, takes a bit of trawling but doable. I booked easy jet last January for flights in July and got return flights from Manchester for £250. I stayed in Skala Potamia for a month at €35/night at Stell Mouraki's place. Nice family.
  • Options
    Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
    Hi cooperkids, we have done it ourselves for the last couple of years, and it cost us approx £1100, this includes flights,apartment, car hire,ferries, petrol etc...
    The drive from airport to ferry is nearly all motorway and very easy to do.
  • Options
    Hi Andy, the bus option sounds feasible but not sure how regular the buses would be, is it a regular service as one would need to tie it up with plane landings and take offs. Obviously if you are staying a good chunk of time the journey times wouldn't matter too much. However, if you are only there for a week or a fortnight getting ferries and buses to link with the plane would have a bearing on not losing days of your holiday
  • Options
    Hi Delboy, flights are expensive and you need to find your own way, taxi to Keramoti, ferry and taxi. £379 for flights and 180 euros for apartment for ten days, but you can stay wherever you like.
  • Options
    I think earlier on you have a good chance of getting good deals, the first week Thomson's ended up offering the Smadari for £90 for the week including the flights. However, flights only for our weeks (Weds only offered ) are just shy of £500 and rise to £1179 in late July (I guess school holidays).
  • Options
    Sandra MilesSandra Miles Member (+) Posts: 51
    We travel flight only with Thomsons in June and August and the flights for two people are £978 return. We get taxi to Keramoti for 20 euro, ferry at 3 euro each, then taxi 20 Euro to Scala Potamia. Our accomodation is 40 euro per night. All in all still a good price for such a special holiday
  • Options
    Hi Sandra
    The 40€'s a night would probably be more of the mark as a comparsion, I don't have any photos of the prices on the doors but sort of recall someone saying 60€ was on theirs but I will look more closely when I go
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the exchange rate is in thassos at the moment ?
  • Options
    Hi Cooperkids

Not sure what everybody else thinks but from my experience there are only a few places that do exchange apart from the banks and as we all know their rates don't tend to be good. I did ask in the supermarket in golden beach (the only exchange there) and it was only ok rate. I believe Skala Potamia had a exchange but my advice is to get the best rate here before you go.
  • Options
    Thanks delboy looks like money shop does best rates.
  • Options
    ToneTone Member (+) Posts: 65
    We always take euros and cash with us - when I run out of euros I exhange my pounds at Speedy Car Hire in Scala Potamia - always a decent rate even after any commission - I don't use a card abroad - I'm old school and don't trust anyone after my card was used by someone in Portugal once - we weren't even there and had never been there at that time !

I just make sure I take good care of my money - in 15 years have not be robbed yet ( famous last words I know !!! )
  • Options
    Thanks tone we go on Sunday so I'd better gèt a move on .is scala potamia anywhere nearscal
    a rachoni ?
  • Options
    That should be Scala Rachoni !
  • Options
    Hi Cooperkids
    No there aren't near one another unless you have a car, I just used Golden Beach as an example, I understand Golden Beach is a far bigger resort than Skala Rachoni and Golden Beach is very low key for exchanges. I guess I wouldn't take the chance on exchange at Skala Rachoni unless others can tell you that have stayed there
  • Options
    Last year there was only one Atm for the whole of Golden Beach and Skala Potamia put together. However, I have been reliably informed there is a new (much needed) second Atm at the Campsite entrance at Golden Beach
  • Options
    Hi Cooperkids again lol just for information I read you do have an Atm outside the chemists in Skala Rachoni
  • Options
    Thanks for that delboy on countdown now can't wait
  • Options
    Hi Tone,

Normally I have found the loaded euro cards to work fine and it seems to be the way to go as there is no access to your current account. However, this year with the Euro debt problems coming to a head late June I would be very nervous relying on an Atm completely
  • Options
    jlcloverjlclover Member (+) Posts: 7
    Hi everyone , does anybody know karen&stavros email address pls there at the george I had it and lost it
  • Options
    AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 822
    Hi jlclover,

I don't know their personal email address but I know that this one is theirs: info@meltemi-villas.gr