Excursions from Thassos to Philipi

Home General
Coronavirus Travel Updates Are you looking for information about traveling to Thassos during the Covid pandemic? Click here to learn more!

Excursions from Thassos to Philipi

PeterPeter Member (+) Posts: 4
We will be holidaying on Thassos in Limenas for two weeks in July 2015. I would love to visit Philipi on the mainland. Can any body suggest a local travel company/agent who offers such a trip.

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 681
    Hi Peter,

Great choice! There's an incredible archaeological site and museum that are worth visiting in Philippi.

Here's a taxi service that could pick you up from the ferry port in Keramoti (a straight shot from Limenas) and take you there:

http://www.go-thassos.gr/visiting-thassos/transportation/triantafillos-taxi-keramoti-port
  • PeterPeter Member (+) Posts: 4
    Augie,

Thanks for your help, I am looking forward to visiting the museum and
    the archaeological site and also if possible the site of the significant battle between the forces of Mark Anthony/Octavian and Brutus/Crassus.
    Kind regards,
    Peter
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 681
    You're welcome, Peter!

The battlefield can be best observed from the 2nd floor of the museum - ask the staff and they will point it out to you. It's quite a distance away from the archaeological site of the ancient city and I've never tried venturing all the way out there on foot.

Also, while you're nearby, check out a section of the ancient Roman road (Egnatia) that is in brilliant condition. It's easy to access, here are the coordinates:

Latitude: 40.945505
    Longitude: 24.372899