Excursions from Thassos to Philipi

Home General

Excursions from Thassos to Philipi

PeterPeter Member (+) Posts: 4
We will be holidaying on Thassos in Limenas for two weeks in July 2015. I would love to visit Philipi on the mainland. Can any body suggest a local travel company/agent who offers such a trip.

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Peter,

Great choice! There's an incredible archaeological site and museum that are worth visiting in Philippi.

Here's a taxi service that could pick you up from the ferry port in Keramoti (a straight shot from Limenas) and take you there:

http://www.go-thassos.gr/visiting-thassos/transportation/triantafillos-taxi-keramoti-port
  • PeterPeter Member (+) Posts: 4
    Augie,

Thanks for your help, I am looking forward to visiting the museum and
    the archaeological site and also if possible the site of the significant battle between the forces of Mark Anthony/Octavian and Brutus/Crassus.
    Kind regards,
    Peter
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    You're welcome, Peter!

The battlefield can be best observed from the 2nd floor of the museum - ask the staff and they will point it out to you. It's quite a distance away from the archaeological site of the ancient city and I've never tried venturing all the way out there on foot.

Also, while you're nearby, check out a section of the ancient Roman road (Egnatia) that is in brilliant condition. It's easy to access, here are the coordinates:

Latitude: 40.945505
    Longitude: 24.372899