Thassos Ancient Theater still closed?

Home Places on Thassos

Thassos Ancient Theater still closed?

Hi, anybody knows, is "Thassos Ancient Theater" still closed in Limenas?

Answers

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 842
    Hi Evgheni :)

Yes, it's still closed but the renovation work is almost complete (finally!!).

The organizers said that if the theater is not open this year then it will definitely be open by the summer of 2024, in time for live concerts and performances! I'm really looking forward to seeing one next year!
  • SirPJSirPJ Member (+) Posts: 11
    That is excellent news! Are aware of what sort of concerts they will be having there? B)
    Hey Paul! :)

Music concerts, dramas, and comedies in the Greek language were performed in the past, mostly in the months of July and August, before its closure for renovation work. My guess is they will be having similar concerts as those in the past but we'll have to wait until next summer to find out!
  • broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    I would love to revisit. I walked up to the open theatre location in September 2006 when staying for my first time in Thassos Town at the Galaxy. Slipped disc on the way in my back and had to have 4 weeks off work on return to UK also rained heavily with rivers running down street. No problems on my other 12 visits to the Golden Beach/ Skala Potamia and how I would love to turn back time meet old friends again. Best holidays of my life 1997 to 2004..
  • itsinmysoulitsinmysoul Member Posts: 32
    Hello

I am coming at the beginning of June so will the theatre now be open? and where can we find out what will be happening there?

Thank you for your response
    Ashlyn
    Hi Ashlyn :)

I just spoke with a friend who's been working on-site during the theater's renovation project. He explained to me that the plan is for the theater to open this summer but the large crane must first be disassembled and removed. They expected the crane to be taken down already but it's still there today, so the theater remains closed. Once the crane is removed, they can work on opening the theater to visitors after so many years of waiting!

The wooden seating at the theater has been completely replaced with Thassian marble, so now it looks how it used to in ancient times. I walked up there last week and saw it from outside the fence and it looked great!!
    Thank you for Augie..

Oooh I do hope I can visit it - it sounds wonderful that is has been restored with Marble - I imagine quite a special atmosphere will be there.

Look forward to seeing it.

Ashlyn
    Where can I check if there any concerts or events being held there in June this year?

Thank you for your reply ;)
    Hi Ashlyn :)

The "Summer Festival" schedule is normally released during the first half of June. It will include all concerts and events on Thassos during the summer of 2024. Hopefully, we will also find out if there will be any scheduled events at the Ancient Theater this summer!

I'll let you know when the schedule is available. Please remind me just in case I forget to, ok?
    Thankyou again...we are there 29th May - 12th June so hope something may be happening to enjoy there.
    Thankyou for photo..it looks wonderful :)
    I have just returned from Thassos - and we walked up to the Amphitheatre - unfortunately were too late and the gates closed.

My friend went earlier in the morning and was fortunate to find it open.

It would be so useful in they put the opening times on the gates for future visitors :)

I will be back there again soon I hope.
  • StuartLStuartL Member Posts: 12
    Hi Augie,

Any update on the "Summer Festival" schedule?

Thanks
    Stuart
    Hey Stuart and thank you so much for the reminder!

The schedule was released but unfortunately, as of right now, no events are planned at the ancient theater in 2024.

You can see the schedule here. (open in Google Chrome for an automatic translation to English)
  • StuartLStuartL Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Augie, looking forward to coming back in 2 weeks. :)
  • Thassos4everThassos4ever Member Posts: 1
    edited August 30

There is now a sign with opening hours directly on the entry of the theater:
    Open every day from 8.00 am to 3.30 pm
    Great, thanks for sharing!! :)