Thassos Ancient Theater still closed?

Home Places on Thassos
Options

Thassos Ancient Theater still closed?

Hi, anybody knows, is "Thassos Ancient Theater" still closed in Limenas?

Answers

• Options
    AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 828
    Hi Evgheni :)

Yes, it's still closed but the renovation work is almost complete (finally!!).

The organizers said that if the theater is not open this year then it will definitely be open by the summer of 2024, in time for live concerts and performances! I'm really looking forward to seeing one next year!
  • Options
    SirPJSirPJ Member (+) Posts: 10
    That is excellent news! Are aware of what sort of concerts they will be having there? B)
  • Options
    Hey Paul! :)

Music concerts, dramas, and comedies in the Greek language were performed in the past, mostly in the months of July and August, before its closure for renovation work. My guess is they will be having similar concerts as those in the past but we'll have to wait until next summer to find out!
  • Options
    broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    I would love to revisit. I walked up to the open theatre location in September 2006 when staying for my first time in Thassos Town at the Galaxy. Slipped disc on the way in my back and had to have 4 weeks off work on return to UK also rained heavily with rivers running down street. No problems on my other 12 visits to the Golden Beach/ Skala Potamia and how I would love to turn back time meet old friends again. Best holidays of my life 1997 to 2004..
  • Options
    itsinmysoulitsinmysoul Member Posts: 21
    Hello

I am coming at the beginning of June so will the theatre now be open? and where can we find out what will be happening there?

Thank you for your response
    Ashlyn
  • Options
    Hi Ashlyn :)

I just spoke with a friend who's been working on-site during the theater's renovation project. He explained to me that the plan is for the theater to open this summer but the large crane must first be disassembled and removed. They expected the crane to be taken down already but it's still there today, so the theater remains closed. Once the crane is removed, they can work on opening the theater to visitors after so many years of waiting!

The wooden seating at the theater has been completely replaced with Thassian marble, so now it looks how it used to in ancient times. I walked up there last week and saw it from outside the fence and it looked great!!