Restoration of the theatre above Thassos Town.

Home General

Restoration of the theatre above Thassos Town.

DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
In 2015 the Roman Theatre above the town was being restored did the project get completed or is it still on going ?

Thanks

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hey Delboy :)

Great question! I've been wondering the same thing myself so I went for a walk to the old harbor a few days ago to have a look. I saw that the construction crane is still up there which must mean the project is still going on.

Speaking of restoration, have you heard about the plan to restore the forestland in Aliki and Prinos/Kazaviti that burned during the fire in 2016? It's a part of a national green initiative (EU funded) that will see 50,000 hectares of forestland replanted around the country. This will help Thassos maintain its rich forests and remain the "Emerald Island" for years to come. Woohoo!
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Oh that will be great with a new restoration project for the forests. Over here all our Government want to do is replace our green fields and land with thousands of houses.

Thanks for the update on the Theatre
  • UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 11
    @Augie

Really have they started reforestation project in Thassos ?

Any news about the project ?
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Umbral :)

I haven't heard any news for some time but the last news I heard was that our local government is working with universities in Greece and Germany to conduct a study for the reforestation project. Here's an article: https://kavala.citypedia.gr/kainotomos-anadasosi-sti-thaso/

If I hear any more news I will let you know!
  • UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 11
    Maybe they can do a reforestation in Potamia/Skala Potamia or include this new zone that is burning too.

https://community.go-thassos.gr/discussion/695/big-fire-near-children-camp-potamia

I hope they will start with the reforestation project. If you got any news let us know.

Thank you.