UK to THASSOS - Package or Solo?

Home Traveling to Thassos

UK to THASSOS - Package or Solo?

I've always travelled to Thassos over the past 20 years using a TUI Package Holiday and would love to try to book it all myself!

What advice can you give me please as I can't seem to get a direct flight from Birmingham to Kavala and how much would all the connections cost?

Comments

• hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    Hi viv, I book directly and have done for years, but we fly from germany which is a bit easier. I just had a look on www.skyscanner.com and there don't seem to be any direct flight from the UK at all, not even from London. but perhaps there will be an airline a bit later in the year. the prices at the moment are between 350 and 550 € per person. hope you find something. we have already booked flights, car and accommodation so June can't arrive too soon. Good luck.
  • chellywellychellywelly Member Posts: 7
    You could fly to Thessaloniki. A taxi from the airport to the bus station. From there a bus takes about 60-90 minutes to kavala where you can get the ferry over to the island. We have done it a few times. I think there is a taxi service on the island who will pick you up from Thessaloniki
    there are at the moment no direct flights from Birmingham to Thessaloniki. potos cars offer a shuttle service from Thessaloniki.
  • VintageVivVintageViv Member (+) Posts: 50
    Do you find that you can save much money by doing it all yourself as I can't seem to make a saving?

The flights average at £450 return and I can get everything Birmingham to Kavala - Coach to Kerimoti - Ferry to Thassos - Thassos Town to Hotel - Half Board - £725.00.

Can't seem to make it cheaper whether going self-catering or bed&breakfast.. so where am I going wrong?
    if you are happy with the package deal, go for it. it's not so much saving a lot of money but being independent. we don't like sitting on a bus waiting for people and then going to every hotel until at last we get to ours. and package hotels don't seem to be so authentic, but cater more for people who want their home comforts. same with half board, which we would never even consider. for us it's one of the best things to discover a new taverna each night until we found the one. but as I said, that's just how we do it. for that independence you need a car which makes the holiday more expensive. so you have to consider your options. I am sure that a package holiday is the cheapest and easiest way.
  • VintageVivVintageViv Member (+) Posts: 50
    Totally agree re herding.. I started going Half Board when travelling Solo and enjoyed the company of dinner with fellow travellers safely back at my Hotel in the evenings. I've always preferred to be footloose and fancy free and go where and when I wanted to on Thassos.. B&B suits me + car hire.. with a different Taverna every lunchtime and evening! Will enjoy researching/planning my next trip and welcome all the helpful comments!
    Good luck, planning is a big part of a holiday, I love it.