Advance payment rules for a reservation cancellation

Home General

Advance payment rules for a reservation cancellation

anaisanais Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

Because of the Coronavirus Force Majeure situation, I need to cancel my reservation for this year - holiday planned for September. However, I have already paid an advance payment of 30%.

What is the new law regarding the advance payment? Is it mandatory for the host to pay me back or can they choose to only offer me an extension of the reservation for next year? Do I have any option to choose, or do I need to accept the hotel's offer?
I cannot find anything about a cancellation policy on this platform, nor on the hotel's website, could you please help me?

Thank you!

Comments

• GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    It all depends on the policy of your booking.
    Due to COVID-19 though, the State has declared the policy of the 18 months voucher, if the owner of the hotel chooses so.
    This is because of the big number of cancellations and the inability of the hotel-owners to return all the deposits they received.
    In a normal year, the owners would have no problem returning the money.
  • anaisanais Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Gregory!
    However, I can't find anywhere the policy of the booking - there's none on this platform, nor on the hotel's website. Is there any official place where I can find the policy?

Also, if the hotel chooses to extend my booking (which is what they offered), and if I don't manage to go next year either (even if COVID situation improves), will they return my advance payment after the 18 months expire?

Thank you!
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited July 2020
    Hi Anais :)

The Greek law stipulates that if you don't use the voucher then you can redeem it for a cash refund after 18 months.

Every property sets its own reservation policy so there isn't an official place where you can find the policy because it's different across properties.

Typically (but not always), property owners offer a refund if the cancellation takes place at least 21 days before the arrival date. As Gregory said, many hotels aren't able to meet the demands for a refund because there are far too many cancellations this year and some businesses are finding it difficult to cope.

The 18-month voucher is how the Greek government decided to solve this very challenging situation. Most hotels and properties are small, family businesses and they often need to use the booking deposits to get their business prepared for the summer season. This year there have been much higher costs in order to meet the strict Covid-19 protocols. That's why some of the hotels can't return the deposit and are offering the voucher instead.

This year is a very unique year for all of us. Everyone I know is trying their best to handle these extraordinary circumstances. I'm sorry for the frustration this must be causing you.
  • anaisanais Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot Augie, it was very helpful.
    I understand and I'm sorry for all of us! I hope everyone will survive this year and looking forward to travelling to lovely heavenly Greece again, hopefully next year. :smile: