Hiking from Potamia to Ypsarion

Home Places on Thassos

Hiking from Potamia to Ypsarion

I will go to Thassos in the following days. I was hiking from Potamia to Ypsarion during my last vacation on Thassos. I would like to hike the same route sometimes half on september.
My question:
Is it still possible to walk along the sidewalk from Potamia to Ypsarion?

Comments

• DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    edited September 2019
    Hi idulgerov,

I attempted to walk the Ypsarion in 2015 and my photographed journey of it can been seen on the 2015 trip report logged near the end of the report. (seen in the tourist review section on here)

You have to go to the top of Potamia village to see the brown sign of the route. However, after that it is poorly signed and nothing marked on a river bed that you need to take. Beyond that some of the signs were lying on the floor and other markings were just ribbons or red blobs on trees.

I reached a point where I apparently missed a mark on a rock showing the way up beyond my last point and if you reach there you have missed it too.

Have a read of it to give you an idea. It may have been resigned since but on an important route for hikers it certainly needs it
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi idulgerov :)

I just spoke with a friend of mine who's very active and loves hiking through the mountains of Thassos, including the path to Ypsarion.

The answer to your question: YES! Have fun!
  • idulgerovidulgerov Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your answers :-)
    Finally I hiked on trail Potamia - Ypsarion - Kamenos Vrachos - Theologos on 16.09.2019 .
    My trail is here https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/from-potamia-to-ypsarion-and-theologos-41641381
    If somebody is interested in :-)
    Hi idulgerov

Well done, how long did it take to get from Potamia to the Ypsarion ?

Also do you have any pictures to add and can you point out the part where I went wrong in my trip in 2015.

Always keen on how far I was before giving up

regards,

Delboy
    From Potamia to Ypsarion my hike took about 3:20 hours.
    Whole hike took 9:13 hours - with rest :-)
    I just received news yesterday that the foot path from Potamia to Ypsarion was washed out by the flooding we had on Thassos in November 2019.

A close friend of mine attempted the walk on Saturday but she was unable to reach the summit and had to turn back around.
    I guess that is why the sign posts remain wonky or on the floor in the summer. It would be good if the community were to sign post it with solid markers. I must get fit enough to even attempt it again
    Hey Delboy :)

This happened in the last 2 months so what you observed over the summer had nothing to do with it.

The path is not passable now, so to climb to the top of Ypsarion you'll have to get super extra fit and master your wall-climbing abilities! :wink:

edited January 2020
    Hi Augie,

The flooding happens quite a lot and I remember in 2015 the stepping stones down at the river from the Alexandia Boutique were swept away and the beaches having water trenches running down them.
    I attempted the walk in 2015 and signposts were twisted or on the floor, so unless they are re-positioned each year the route is difficult to follow unless you are familiar with it.

Ideally to get up there with a bigger camera would be great but I know from last years walks that would not be possible. I may be getting too old to attempt it now by walking it.
    Have you tried the organized path above Panagia that takes you up to a gazebo with breathtaking views of Panagia, Ypsarion, and Golden Beach? It's a short 20 minute walk up and 20 minute walk back down. You can't get lost on this path and I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it yet! Perhaps you already have, and included it in one of your amazing guides, and I forgot... :blush:
    edited January 2020
    Hi Augie, yes done that one last year and logged and photographed it in my trip report. However, the place was spotted by me in 2015 on a recce before the mountain climb also covered in the 2015 report.
    It was quite amusing as i did not know the correct way up using the proper pathway with stairs as there were no markings on the road. So sort of discovered it in reverse lol
    Anybody that fancies doing it have a look at the report for 2019. Not sure what the day it was but in the first half if I remember correctly.