How busy is Thassos ?

Home General

How busy is Thassos ?

JJJALLJJJALL Member Posts: 1
edited June 2021 in General
We are hoping to visit Thassos at the end of July for 2 weeks. We are hoping it will be on the green list by then, as we currently in the UK.

My question is, how busy is Thassos at the moment? I don’t mind if it’s quieter than normal, but on the other hand I don’t want it to be like a ghost town .

Are people on the beaches and in the bars ?
Thanks

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hey jjjall :)

At the moment, the crowds are very small and spread out but Thassos is getting busier by the day as we approach July 1st, the official opening of tourism in Greece.

If everything continues to go as well as they have been, the island will be far from a ghost town in July!

Keep an eye on our webcam:
    https://www.go-thassos.gr/about-thassos/webcam
  • EllieEllie Member (+) Posts: 31
    We are still praying for August! They are now considering allowing people who have been fully vaccinated to travel even to amber countries. Please! We are at the age where we can't afford to lose another year, nor do we want to!
    edited June 2021
    Hi Ellie :)

That's good news! We hope that they do just that!

It's getting safer and safer by the day traveling within the EU. Just today, Romania put Greece on their green list. This is a positive development for Thassos since Romania is one of the island's big markets.

Vaccinations are going very well in Greece. Thassos is in the top 10 places with the most vaccinations, #8 in all of Greece! As of yesterday, we had over 47% of the local population fully vaccinated while almost 60% have had at least 1 dose. By July it will be even better and by August... we hope the situation will be ideal enough for your government to feel comfortable and lift the restrictions (and keep them lifted, that's our ultimate goal).

Here's a breakdown of locations in Greece and their progress with vaccinations:
    https://www.kathimerini.gr/society/561402373/o-chartis-ton-emvoliasmon-ta-pososta-ana-nomo-kai-nisi/
  • hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    hi, we are on thassos since Tuesday, it is quieter but by no means ghostly. paradise for instance is about at 60% to full capacity, though the North end is closed (no sunbeds and taverna). limenas is busy but nowhere like other years. we are enjoying this immensely, no shoving in the lanes and the shops are all open.
    hi everyone, back at home again and I must say, thassos is still busy, last week paradise beach was packed. panagia is not as busy as usual and the market in prinos a bit smaller. the only down thing to mention is that you know who is a tourist, because most of them don't wear face masks, or keep their distance, be it inside shops or outside. it is as if they have forgotten everything about covid. they must think they left it at the border. the numbers are going up in greece because of it. makes me so cross.
    Hey Hobgoblin! :)

So glad you returned home safely and enjoyed your holiday on Thassos! Thanks for sharing some of your experiences with us!!

I'd like to make an important point that the vast majority of new cases in Greece over the last week are in Attica/Athens. End-of-school beach parties were held where crowds of students partied without following health protocols. It's all over the Greek media and there are videos of these events circulating social media.

I'm pleased to say that no cases have been reported on Thassos over the last few days. Considering that over 60% of the island's population is vaccinated and anyone visiting must be vaccinated or test negative before their arrival, Thassos is a low-risk area.

I agree with you, people could be doing more to stay safe but most are choosing not to. I think what's happening is that they are feeling safer than they have felt in the past months so they're seizing the opportunity to let loose as they spend most of their time outdoors and feel relatively safe under the Greek sun.

Did you go home with a nice tan? :)
    hi Augie, thanks for your answer, yes the tan will remind us of thassos for a while yet. everybody I speak to is jealous.
  • JazumaluJazumalu Member (+) Posts: 7
    Hello, we are in Skala Potamia right now and I think everybody can choose if he wants to be among people or stay sideways. The center is full of people but the side without sunbeds is less crowded. Also the restaurants in Chrissi Amoundia are less crowded than in Skala Potamia and it is a short walk there. Its true that some people dont wear masks in shops but the majority does.
    We feel safe and are having a great holiday.