Covid PCR test

Home Coronavirus

Covid PCR test

JayneJayne Member Posts: 11
edited July 2021 in Coronavirus
Hello Augie, if we are allowed to travel to Thassos by the UK government, I think we will be required to take a Covid PCR test 2 days before we leave the island. Is there anywhere on the island where you can book and pay for this or would we have to go to the mainland? Many thanks

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Jayne :)

Yes, there are places where you can book and pay for the PCR test on the island without needing to visit the mainland.

I just spoke with a local microbiologist and he confirmed you will be able to have a PCR test on the island.

They will take your samples here and forward them to a lab on the mainland that will send you the results the next day.
  • terryterry Member (+) Posts: 14
    Hi Augie do know the cost and were
    Not yet. As soon as cost/location is decided I will let you know right here :)
    edited May 2021
    Hey Terry :)

I just spoke again with a local microbiologist and he explained to me that the pricing is still under review but a PCR test will most likely cost:

€60 per person if you visit the lab in Limenas
    €70 per person if you want them to come to your accommodation

The test can be administered Monday-Saturday (not Sundays) and you would need to make an appointment 1 day before the test.

Let me break this down for you:

If you have a departure flight to the UK at 12:00 PM on August 15, you need to have the test within 72 hours, so at or after 12:00 PM on August 12. You would call or email the microbiologist to make an appointment on August 11, 1 day before the test. After administering the test, the sample will be sent to a special lab on the mainland and you will have the result in your email inbox later on the same day or on the next day (excluding Sundays). The results would of course be in English as required by international law.

The microbiologist said he doesn't believe PCR tests will be required by the time you visit Thassos but in case it is required you will be covered 100%. More than likely a rapid test will suffice which is much faster and cheaper.
  • JaiJai Member Posts: 29
    Hi Augie,

Thank you for the information. We're coming to Thassos on the 20th June to 5th July when we leave Thassos, 5th -6th in Kavala . We are then flying on the 6th to Athens from Kavala Airport to Athens 1 day, leave Athens on the 7th July back to UK.

Do you have any contact advice and contact details for PCR tests?

This may change at short notice with UK rules.

There is announcement at 5pm UK time, 7pm CEET today by the UK government, 7 May, as to rules and traffic light for countries who will on the Green, Amber or Red list

Thanks Jai
  • terryterry Member (+) Posts: 14
    Thanks Augie we are hopefully coming 30 May so it's a close call . Thanks again your a life saver regards Terry.
  • trevpnntrevpnn Member (+) Posts: 10
    Sorry to say that Tui informed us by email today that our booking for the 30th May from Birmingham as been cancelled.
    Hopefully our governments promise to review every 3 weeks will bring better news soon. We have already booked late August but hopefully we will all be allowed in Thassos long before then.
  • simsalabimsilkesimsalabimsilke Member Posts: 4
    Hello
    We’ll com to Thassos from the 3rd of June until the 19 Th of June ..
    when we eat to go back we’ll need a Antigen test ( PCr is not necessary) could this also be done in Limenas ? And do you habe an idea about the price !? Thank you for your help
    Bye Silke
    Augie, Do you have an idea if rapid tests could be done at Golden beach ? Thank you
    edited July 2021
    Hi Simsalabimsilke :)

Yes, rapid tests are available on Thassos.

There are two microbiologist labs in Limenas where you can book an appointment. They told me the test result takes about 15 minutes with an accuracy of ~95%.

They can also come to you in Golden Beach (for a fee, see below).

--------------------------------------------
    Konstantinos Chrissogelos (click here to see on Google Maps)
    Tel: (0030) 25930 22388
    Mob: (0030) 694 742 6287
    Email: chrissogeloslab@gmail.com

Book your appointment at the lab in Limenas for:

RAPID Test: €25 per person
    PCR Test: €60 per person

They can come to your location on Thassos for an extra charge (upon request).

Konstantinos Pates (click here to see on Google Maps)
    Tel: (0030) 25930 22272
    Mobile: (0030) 697 479 6525
    Email: kpates74@yahoo.gr

Book your appointment at the lab in Limenas for:

RAPID Test: €20 per person
    PCR Test: €70 per person

The microbiologists will issue a document in English for you to take with you to the border.

FYI: You could also buy COVID self-tests at any pharmacy for around €7 each but I don't believe this kind of test will meet the requirements at the borders because you won't receive an official document confirming your result. These tests are also less accurate but they are available in case you want to take one for any reason while here.
    Dear Augie
    Many thanks for your answer.
    Maybe from the 14 Th of may on we will have the possibility to make a quick test at the airport ? With documents ?
    Thanks Silke
    That would be the best solution for people travelling through airports!

I'll let you know as soon as I can confirm this for you. :)
    Thank you fit your kindly help
  • frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    Hello Augie- did you read this?

TUI has announced that it will subsidise the cost of Covid testing for those booking its package holidays, with tests costing between £20 and £90 per person, to help make international holidays more accessible during the pandemic.

Although other travel companies are promoting deals including easyJet, Jet2 and British Airways, they are offering testing packages from between £60 and £210 per person.

However, as international travel starts to open up, it is predictable that there will be an aggressive ‘price war’ between both the major holiday companies and airlines.

Doesn't specify where the tests will be available though...

Frenchie
  • valsherryvalsherry Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    What are the entry requirements to get in to Greece from the UK.
  • SebastianSebastian Administrator Posts: 18
    Hi valsherry, you can find those answers on our Coronavirus updates page. There you will find basic entry requirements. The finer details can be found on the official source pages (which are provided).

The best source for official entry requirements (for all visitors to Greece), is found here https://travel.gov.gr. This site is our primary source of information. You can verify our information on that page, and we recommend that you do so because the government may post new information between our page update cycles. Our page is usually updated every morning during weekdays (if there are important changes/updates).
  • itsinmysoulitsinmysoul Member Posts: 19
    Hi

Arriving June 27th 2021

From reading the Greek government guidelines I understand that travelling from the UK having had both vaccinations - we won't require to take a covid test as well before entry - is that your understanding too?

Thank you
    Ashlyn

Hi Ashlyn :)

Yes, ma'am! Since you have been fully vaccinated, you will not need a PCR test to enter Greece as long as you present your official vaccination certificate.

You may still be asked to take a rapid test at the airport when you arrive since some incoming travelers will be randomly selected and tested, regardless of if they've been vaccinated or tested prior to their arrival.
  • dennisvangrevenbroekdennisvangrevenbroek Member Posts: 1
    Dear Augie,

We are currently staying in Potos. I have been reviewing this conversation and it is interesting to learn there is a medical lab that is able to provide PCR-testing and certification.

Just a quick question: are you aware of any persons using this service and travel with the issued certificate back to any European countries? Have you seen any of the certificates being issued?

Before we go there on Wednesday, we just want to make sure the documents being issued are in line with the current European regulations.

Thanks in advance for any updates.

Dennis
    edited May 2021
    Hey Dennis :)

I don't personally know any individuals who have used the service but I just spoke with the microbiologist lab that offers PCR tests on Thassos, whom I know very well for many years on a personal and professional level, and they confirmed they have already conducted a significant number of tests for tourists returning home to Germany, France, UK, and Romania. Until now, nobody has complained to them that any certificates they issued weren't accepted by the airline or the authorities of their home country.

The microbiologists told me that as long as the traveler is correctly informed and knows exactly what kind of test their airline and their government are requiring upon their return, they have nothing to worry about. It's their responsibility to request the right kind of test.

PCR tests are more expensive than rapid antigen tests so if someone chooses the rapid test because it's cheaper but the authorities of their home country want a PCR test then it's a mistake of the traveler for getting the wrong type of test and they would face issues upon their return. This is the most common problem that happens.

Requirements are constantly changing. Germany was requiring a PCR test a couple of weeks ago but now they are requiring a rapid antigen test instead. Keep an eye on the announcements coming from your airlines and government agencies to ensure you get the right type of test. Beyond that, you can be confident that the official certificate you will receive in English will be recognized and accepted upon your return.
  • DonDon Member Posts: 8
    Hi does anyone know if you purchase the pcr test from Tui for your return journey where can you take them in Thassos to be tested and is there an additional charge for the service thanks
  • trevpnntrevpnn Member (+) Posts: 10
    If its the same one we used in Portugal you don't take it anywhere. You photograph the result from the kit you use then email to Chronomics who then send the results back to you.
  • DonDon Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your reply
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    Can you please tell me the current entry requirements re COVID for thassos
    Hey Toni :)

You can find the current entry requirements here: https://travel.gov.gr

If there's anything you need to know but can't find at the link, please let me know and I'll try to find out for you!