covid

Home Coronavirus

covid

tonybtonyb Member Posts: 33
edited July 2021 in Coronavirus
Hi Augie, a brilliant article in the sunday mail regarding Greece's response to covid, mass vaccination of all islands particulary tourist hotspots, how is Thassos doing in that respect, aim is to kickstart tourism from may 17th, two weeks too late for me but will rebook for a later date, Tony.

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    Hey Tony :)

Greece is working around the clock preparing to open for tourism as early as April 19 and will begin accepting the first tourists but only from select countries such as the EU and UK. Conditions and restrictions apply but this is how Greece is taking small steps towards normalcy.

Check out this article for more details:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/greece-to-ditch-quarantine-for-tourists-who-are-vaccinated-or-test-negative

I wrote a post underneath the webcam (here) in response to Nigel's similar question about the situation on Thassos. Have a look and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you!
  • terryterry Member (+) Posts: 14
    Hi Augie I have been told that the infection rate has go up on the thassos but I can't see any report saying that can you confirm the islands status at this time thanks Terry
    edited April 2021
    Good morning Terry :)

The infection rate ticked up on Thassos over the last few weeks but it has come back down most recently.

The latest stats released yesterday (25 April) show Thassos had 1 new case in the last 24 hours and an average of 3.29 cases in the last 7 days. The current infection rate on the island is 7.26 per 100,000.

Here's the official source (Greek National Health Organization):
    https://eody.gov.gr/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/covid-gr-daily-report-20210425.pdf

source: https://eody.gov.gr/category/anakoinoseis/
    Thanks Augie that's quite good just hope it stays that way
  • DmitrySDmitryS Member Posts: 2
    Hi Augie, I hope you a well.
    Could you tell me please what about Moldova people, we can travel in Thassos? We booked an apartment and we want to come by car. Mb you have information about our travel.
    Thanks a lot.
  • hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    Hi Augie, it's looking promising for our June holiday. But although we will be fully vaccinated by then, the airline and german regulations state, that we need to show a negative test when going back. is such a test possible on thassos? thanks for your help again and again and happy Easter.
    Hi Hobgoblin :)

Happy belated Easter!!

Yes, you will definitely be able to get tested on Thassos before returning home if you need to. Rapid (antigen) tests and molecular (PCR) tests are available here. What kind of test will they require you to get?

thanks augie, as of now, a rapid test will do.
    Hobgoblin, we're still waiting to learn if the Greek state will provide rapid tests to travelers at the airports and points of entry. It's possible you will be able to get a rapid test at the airport. It may be free or subsidized by the state. If not, then you will need to get tested beforehand which is easy to do on Thassos.

We will learn more by May 14, when Greece officially opens its door for tourism!
    Hi Dmitry :)

Thanks for your important question and I apologize for my delayed response!

Since April 19, tourists from these places are allowed to enter Greece but they have the same restrictions as the locals:
    • The European Union
    • The United States
    • The United Kingdom
    • Serbia
    • Israel
    • Russia
    • The United Arab Emirates
    • New Zealand
    • Australia
    • South Korea
    • Thailand
    • Rwanda
    • Singapore
    On May 14, Greece officially will open for tourism and many of the restrictions will be lifted. Greece will announce the list of countries that will be able to visit, and I expect Moldova to be on the list. I have my fingers crossed for you, my friend!

Please keep an eye on this page which we will update as soon as we have more news to share with you on this topic: https://www.go-thassos.gr/coronavirus
  • DmitrySDmitryS Member Posts: 2
    Hello Augie,

Thanks for your answer and your support. We are really waiting for a decision from your country to visit your wonderful island =)

Thank you, I will check the information in your topick.

Have a nice day.
  • GangoGango Member (+) Posts: 38
    Good to know about testing. We will bring some rapid tests with us, but we expect for return to the UK they're going to insist on a PCR test. We just have a slight problem that we will spend a night in Kavala and then a night in Athens on our return!
    Hi Gango :)

In case you need a negative PCR test within 72 hours of your return to the UK, you could get the test on the day you leave Thassos and ask the lab to email you the test results when they are ready.

If you need a printed copy from the lab itself, they can send it to your hotel in Athens with a courier service. Courier services are relatively inexpensive and very efficient in Greece. On weekdays, deliveries typically happen the next day (Athens - Thassos - Athens).
    Hi Augie just an update tui have just notified us that our holiday 30 May to 13 June is now cancelled .Absolutely gutted so sad 😭
    But we are still booked for 2022 😃
    Hi Terry :)

I was also gutted when I read your post on Saturday! I had to remind myself that the UK government is being extra cautious and we must appreciate their seriousness because your safety is and should be a top priority.

Thank you for being patient during these uncertain times and for keeping Thassos in your plans when you're able to travel safely again!
  • snikola84snikola84 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Augie,
    We plan to spend some time on Thassos in July. We are vaccinated. Therefore, do we need PCR test for the ferry from Keramoti? What about children, our girl is five?
    Nikola, from Serbia
  • SebastianSebastian Administrator Posts: 18
    edited May 2021
    Hi Nikola,

The quick answer: Everybody with a vaccination certificate can board the ferry. Those without, such as your daughter, will require a test; however, your daughter will already have a PCR test result as part of the entry requirements of the PLF form (found here https://travel.gov.gr) to get into Greece. So you should be all set!

The long answer:

To board ferries to islands in Greece (as of right now), will need one of the following...
    • an official vaccination certificate (at least 14 days old)
    • a negative PCR test result (performed within the last 72 hours of boarding)
    • a negative RAPID test result (performed within the last 24 hours)
    • a negative self-test result (performed within the last 24 hours)
    • a certificate stating that you've recovered from Covid (within 2 months before boarding and no later than 9 months of boarding)
    • Until: 24 May (keep in mind that usually the government will keep extending this requirement, unless the situation changes)
    • Source (run through Google translate): https://e-nomothesia.gr/law-news/metakinese-apo-nomo-nomo-ti-iskhuei-gia-th-metakinhsh-sta-nhsia.html
    These rules apply for people five (5) years and older, so your daughter will also need to meet the requirements.

From the moment you meet the entry requirements established by the PLF form (found on https://travel.gov.gr) and travel immediately from the border to Thassos, you shouldn't have a problem boarding the ferry. However, if you travel elsewhere within Greece and the 24 or 72 hours time window expires by the time you board the ferry to Thassos, then you could have a problem.

Should you decide to visit the mainland (like Kavala for instance) and then board the ferry back to Thassos, you will need to have your daughter tested again. By why go there anyway, right? ;)

Keep in mind that you'll be traveling in July. The ferry requirements could change between now and then. So you should definitely check again as your travel dates approach.

When the time comes, just check out our Coronavirus updates page for the latest information.
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    We are keeping our fingers crossed that uk government say it’s safe to come at the end of July. We can prove we have had our vaccinations on our nhs app would this be ok as I don’t know how we get a certificate. Will need to find out
  • frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    For UK residents - From the NHS website

Vaccine passports: Demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status when travelling abroad

From 17 May, you may be able to show your COVID-19 vaccination status as proof of your status when travelling abroad. You can access your vaccination status in either of the follow ways. Please do not contact us, we cannot provide letters showing your status.

Through the NHS App
    You can access your COVID-19 vaccination status through the free NHS App from 17 May. You can access the app through mobile devices such as a smartphone or tablet. Proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status will be shown within the NHS App. We recommend that you register with the app before booking international travel.

By calling 119
    If you do not have access to a smartphone and know that the country you are travelling to requires COVID-19 vaccination status, you can call the NHS helpline on 119 (from 17 May) and ask for a letter to be posted to you. This must be at least 5 working days after you’ve completed your course of the vaccine. We expect the letter to take up to 5 working days to reach you.

The letter will be sent automatically to the address registered with your GP. The 119 call handler you speak to will not be able to see your address to check this with you. If you’ve recently moved house, make sure you’ve given your new address to your GP practice before calling 119.

Please see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstrating-your-covid-19-vaccination-status-when-travelling-abroad for further information
    Very helpful resource, fenchie! Thank you for sharing!!!! :blush:
  • GangoGango Member (+) Posts: 38
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-holiday-uk-testing-covid-b1827829.html?amp
    This article is also quite informative for UK travellers. Sounds like we may be able to use our own lateral flow tests for our return
    hi Augie, the ferries will ask for another health-form, I have read. can I download it somewhere to fill out beforehand and does every passenger have to fill out his own or do all car-passengers go on one?
    not necessary to answer that question, I found the answer on www.greece-ferries.com
    Hey Hobgoblin! :)

I spoke with the 2 main ferry companies of Thassos and here's what they said:

ANETH (https://www.anethferries.gr/index.php/en/)

At the moment, they are not requiring foreign travelers to complete a form since they have already completed the PLF form and have already met all the conditions for entering the country and traveling through Greece. The form ANETH has for passengers is only in Greek, for domestic travelers.

Thassos Ferries (http://thassos-ferries.gr/en/index.php)

They provide a form to passengers at the ticket stand. Their forms are not available online at this time.

Generally, when required, every adult passenger needs to fill out a form.