EXTENDING HOLIDAY SEASON

Home General

EXTENDING HOLIDAY SEASON

broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
Looking at todays webcam weather is great, calm sea and perfect sunshine. I'm aware normally the holiday travel closes down at end of September. I wonder why Thomsons and others dont extend into October. Steve

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hey Steve :)

We'd love it if Thomsons and others extended into October!

The sea is still warm well into October and we have beautiful days of sunshine. The days are much shorter but there's plenty to do in October in addition to going to the beach.

The weather is great for outdoor activities like walking, biking, olive harvesting, fishing, visiting ancient sites, meditation/yoga, reading a book in nature or by the sea, or enjoying lazy days at our kafeneios (coffee houses) and tavernas.
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Steve,

The weather does not always stay beyond the end of September. I have even seen it change on the 1st October looking at the webcam.

So iffy beyond that and TUI just would not fill their planes. Maybe this year with everybody eager just to get away it might have worked without covid continuing to cause havoc in the world.
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited September 2020
    I agree with Delboy, the weather on Thassos is much less predictable beyond the end of September and this could be a reason why they don't extend into October. Chances of clouds and rain are a lot higher compared with the summer months. Perhaps a little too risky for Thomsons since they market Thassos as a sun and sea destination.

Perhaps if Thomsons could market it differently so that people choose to come for alternative forms of tourism beyond a "sun and sea holiday", they'd have a better shot at consistently filling more seats in autumn?

Thassos has frequent and fast ferry connections to the mainland so some activities off-island could be combined for the perfect autumn experience! For example, if someone visits Thassos in October and the weather turns cloudy, rainy, or too cool for the sea, here are things they could easily do in a day-trip:
    • City tour of picturesque Kavala
    • Canoe adventure in the Nestos Delta
    • Visit ancient Philippi (where apostle Paul was famously jailed)
    • Visit the ancient baptistery of Lydia (location of the 1st baptism in Europe)
    • Visit the mud baths between Kavala and Drama
    • Tour the many exquisite vineyards of Drama (some of the world's best wines are produced here!)
    All of these places can quickly and easily be reached from Thassos, adding totally new dimensions to one's holiday on Thassos, come rain or shine.
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    These and many more are things that one can do in the mainland, like visiting the caves of Alistrati and Maraas. But there are many things one can do in Thassos as well.
    a. Visit the antiquities of Thassos and the Museums.
    b. Visit and walk on the mountains of Thassos with people that know all the paths. The walks are very nice and the views are breathtaking.
    c. Visit cataracts in Maries and Theologos
    d. Go fishing with the locals.
    e. Watch the picking of The famous Thassian Pine tree honey.
    h. take place in olive picking and watch how is olive pressed in different ways in various olive presses.
    One could easily spend a week doing various things in Thassos besides swimming.
  • broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    If only I could get over there. Take a hired car around the island from Golden Beach. First stop Aliki for scrambled egg if open and , walk to ruins in the sea and a very small sip of greek amstel.

Then onto Potos for chill and lunch. Way back there used to be a Web Cam situated there and around 2004 I recall meeting Manu and her friend Arianne who used to look after the original Web Cam.

I would like to know if they are well and enjoying life in Thassos or perhaps returned to Germany.
    Checking weather today I can see a difference. Some great waves

• broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    That was quite a downpour earlier today. Perhaps I should stick to June.