Contactless payments

Home General

Contactless payments

GangoGango Member (+) Posts: 38
Hi we are hoping that our flight in the last week of August goes ahead! We normally pay cash in restaurants, supermarkets etc but were wondering as the advice in the UK is to pay contactless if this was now the norm on Thassos? Particulary around the Golden Beach area but all over the island. Thanks!

Answers

• tonybtonyb Member Posts: 33
    Fair comment Gango, will need to know same for May when we finally get there.
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Gango who are you flying with? I’ve been unable to find any flights to kavala without 3 stops or Theossinki without 2 stops .. one of the combinations took 24hrs to get us there (from the uk)

• GangoGango Member (+) Posts: 38
    Hi Leanne, sorry we're flying with Ryanair to Thessaloniki and getting a hire car. It's the easiest way and we make the drive part of the holiday. If you don't want to drive I think there are lots of taxis. We have flown via Athens before (the internal flights are really cheap) but we stayed over and made it part of the holiday (which I can recommend; I love Athens)
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    I believe the Ryanair solution is the best at the moment as long as the flights go as planned.
    You can hire a car or take a taxi from the airport to Keramoti. At go-thassos you will find all the information you need to make this possible. We will be happy to see you in Thassos and be sure this is going to be the experience of your life that you will never have again due to the COVID-19 as Thassos is receiving many fewer tourists like the rest of Greece.
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Gango :)

All Greek businesses now accept credit cards, well at least it's mandatory by law. The vast majority have the facility to accept contactless payments.

Also worth noting, the amount you can spend without needing to type your PIN was increased to 50€ (from 25€) as a measure to reduce physical contact people make when paying for goods and services in Greece, in an effort to make the country even safer during the pandemic.
  • AnthonyAnthony Administrator Posts: 22
    Hi @Gango,

I was able to use contactless payments via Apple Pay at a supermarket for a purchase of 90 € without a pin, but you might need a pin for purchases over 50 €.

Here is some more information: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207435
  • GangoGango Member (+) Posts: 38
    Thanks for your answers. I think we will stick to cash then in restaurants etc. We were just worried that some places may not accept cash, as is the case in the uk now. Keeping our fingers crossed that we make it!
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    You're welcome, Gango :)

Cash is king in Greece so you won't have that problem here!