Tui UK travelling to Thassos? - Page 2

Home Traveling to Thassos

Tui UK travelling to Thassos?

2»

Comments

• JayneJayne Member Posts: 11
    Hello, we've been visiting Thassos for the last 33 years and had flights booked with Tui for June. As these were cancelled, we contacted Tui to see if there would be flights later in the year and was told if they were not online, then it was highly unlikely they would go ahead. We have therefore booked with Easyjet from Manchester to Thessoloniki (Ryanair also fly from here). A Taxi to and from Kerimoti is €300, however, with the flight (including extra luggage, priority boarding and extra leg room) and the taxi journey, I have still saved £500 from the original Tui flight to Kavala.
    Yes it is a new airport for us but I am not concerned as I shall just leave it to the taxi driver to get us there. The thought of not going to Thassos was just too disappointing and apart from a slightly longer journey, I don't see this as a problem and have saved money too.
  • tonybtonyb Member Posts: 33
    Hi Tina, originally booked for May but was cancelled due to covid, in the last week have tried to book nine different dates to no avail told by the staff all flights cancelled due to low numbers and a very short season due to covid.
  • SJR1991SJR1991 Member Posts: 18
    @tbone I looked on the Tui website tail end of last week and there were no holidays available for 2020, now only 2021. I looked at the website as if I was booking a new holiday. Also checked on Skyscanner for our original holiday dates and Tui were the only direct flight going into Kavala. Now no flights are available.
    I think unfortunately your holiday won't go ahead. We were going to Thassos in September but have now amended our holiday to go to Corfu, as this is one of the Greek islands Tui said they would be flying to. But we're really gutted we're not going to Thassos, we've had it booked for over a year! 😔
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Jayne,
    It was always said that TUI almost charge as much for their 'flight only' as the TUI package with accommodation. Would the price of the flight, taxis, crossing and accommodation compare with the original TUI all in package.
  • hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    hi all, i feel for all who are missing out on thassos this year. luckily we can still go as we fly from germany. had booked with condor before the Thomas cook debacle and lost our money and now going with eurowings to Thessaloniki. we've done that many Times and always hire a car. it is easy to get from Thessaloniki to keramoti, all motorway, Apart from the Last 15 km and we are mobile.
  • AnthonyAnthony Administrator Posts: 22
    edited June 2020
    Good morning Tina (@tbone),

I just got off the phone with the Thassos TUI office.

I asked them: is flight TOM4726 running this summer?
    They responded: That flight is canceled...no TUI flights are running to Kavala in 2020.

I followed up by asking: A tourist (@tbone) who made a reservation with TUI told me that TUI-UK told them it is still scheduled to run. Why would they say that if it's certain there will be no flights to Kavala/Thassos?

They responded: If they were told this by the TUI-UK office this week, then the representative that informed them made a mistake.
    It's just generally frustrating that Tui UK, or at least their call handlers aren't able to be upfront with their customers. Perhaps they don't know, perhaps they're not allowed to. But everyone seems to know that Thassos 2020 isn't happening so why not be transparent!
    It's all about refunding money which they don't appear to want to do until the date of the flight cancellation. At that point you will be offered a voucher with a 20% off next year, credit note or use the credit code on that credit note to fill in a forum requesting a full refund.

So they don't have to give people's money back until they inform you
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Hi, I was due to travel on September 13th , I spoke to hays who I booked though and they confirmed there will be no flights to kavala this year and that I should expect to hear from tui by July 17th .
    Slightly off topic, but @Augie or @Anthony can you please advise what Greece's overall stance is at letting the UK into Greece at all? It seems an air bridge hasn't been agreed, at least not yet!
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited July 2020
    Hi SJR1991 :)

UK citizens are allowed into Greece since July 1st.

Here's the tricky part: Flights from the UK are banned until 15 July

So you are allowed to come to Greece but you won't be able to find a direct flight to Greece from the UK until 15 July. (Scroll down to Frequently Asked Questions - Travel Q&A HERE)

Read on to see how this famous British citizen got in yesterday:

Father of British PM Bends Rules to Fly to Beloved Greece
    edited July 2020
    Thanks @Augie, I've already read about Bojo's Dad!
    edited July 2020
    Yes disgraceful, one rule for us and one for Boris's mates. Boris refused to talk about it after being questioned about it by the press this evening on the covid update
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Del, boris’s default setting is to just not answer whatever he’s asked. It’s actually embarrassing right now 🙄
    edited September 2020
    Hi All, sorry to bring this topic back to life! However my partner proposed to me on 6th September so we're now engaged 💍 we're getting married on 6/9/2021 and was wondering if there's any whisper of Tui flying to Kavala next year? If so we'd love to honeymoon there. We miss Thassos so much!

PS I know Tui are offering holidays for next year but we don't want to book to be disappointed again!
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi SJR :)

I haven't heard anything yet about TUI UK but it's official that Lufthansa will offer 2 weekly flights from Frankfurt to Kavala in 2021.

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flights/flight-frankfurt-kavala#Cabin=E

Let's all keep our eyes and ears peeled for more options and share!
  • hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    eurowings are flying weekly to kavala. don't know, if they are offering direct flights from England. the plus side of going with eurowings is, that you can change your flights without any cost.
    Thanks Hobgoblin. I did check the Eurowings website and currently they're not flying from the UK (at least the London airports) to Kavala. Will still be keeping a look out though!

Really hope everyone is keeping safe and well during these tough times!