Travelling to Thassos under Coronavirus - Page 3

Home Traveling to Thassos

Travelling to Thassos under Coronavirus

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    edited June 2020
    Hi Andrei :)

Thank you for sharing the situation at the border this morning, today being the first day of re-opening. You must be very tired from the long drive but I think once you're on Thassos everything will be ok. We're waiting for you!!

Hi Andvarga :)

Those are excellent questions that we will answer on Go-Thassos either today or tomorrow. Stay tuned!
    Hi Andrei! Is the border open now? It's past 12 noon so please give us an update if and when you can. Thanks! :)
  • AndreiAndrei Member Posts: 9
    Hi. I wrote but I had no signal.
    At 12.00 border was open.
    Now we have to wait for the ferry.
    They don’t go from 30 to 30 min.
    First one leaves at 13.45
    Thanks, Andrei! :)

So glad everything worked out even though you had this unexpected delay at the border.

Enjoy your beer and the ferry ride... the beach is waiting for you when you get here!
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    Welcome Andrei
    Enjoy your stay and keep safe. We all hope that the island will offer to visitors the best of many seasons as the beaches will not be crowded and restaurants will be very happy to have you.
    edited June 2020
    Hi Andrei, did you need to complete this form or any other in order to transit through Bulgaria?
    edited June 2020
    Hi.

I don’t see the the attachment but I had to complete abpaper and the paper remained to the Bulgarian police when I entered their country.
    The paper was a declaration that I just tranzit Bulgaria

Hi andvarga :)

As promised, here we answer the questions you asked, and more! Please let us know if this helps you... I'd love to hear your feedback!
  • ALEX1234ALEX1234 Member Posts: 2

Hello, we booked apartments for June at Olvia apartments, but unfortunately we come from the Republic of Moldova, and the situation does not allow us to enter Greece,I have written countless times to Olvia Apartaments, to reschedule for next year, but no answer,
    I am not guilty of what happened ... I want to clarify the given situation, and if you can help me ... Thank you very much ..
  • SJR1991SJR1991 Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2020
    So I started a discussion yesterday before seeing this one, but for Tui UK customers hoping to fly to Thassos in July, it doesn't look like it's happening 😔 although when I enquired with the hotel I'm due to stay at this morning they advised all their bookings with Tui were valid! I should add Simon Calder (travel expert here in the UK) said Tui would only be flying to Corfu, Crete, Kos and Rhodes in July. Along with some countries in Spain. And Tui's latest update seems to back him up.

I really hope Tui manage to make it out to Thassos some time this season. Would even rebook for a later date.
  • andvargaandvarga Member Posts: 4
    Hi Augie,
    Mostly yes, thank you! We decided to go, our only concern is what happens when another guest will be diagnosed as positive. How this will affect us. Will the hotel go under quarantine? Will the gests be tested? Thanks.
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    Very strange if that is the OLIVIA Appartments I know. They are decent people. Let me know their tel. No, and their name and I will contact them on your behalf.
  • ALEX1234ALEX1234 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I tried to call the phone number, but no one answers, I sent money in advance, but it's about respect for people ...
    Hi Alex1234 :)

I just phoned Mr. Giorgos Augoustinas (the owner of Olvia Apartments in Skala Potamia) and I spoke with him on your behalf. I explained to him what you have written here on the forum and he replied that he didn't receive your email or phone call. I asked him to check his spam folder in case your email went there.

He said that he understands the difficult situation for Moldovans due to the borders being closed in June 2020 so he's ready to change your booking to later this year or 2021. You only need to contact him.

Can you please send Mr. Giorgos a new email and then let me know when you get a reply from him?
    edited June 2020
    Hi andvarga :)

Those are very good questions, thank you!

No, the entire hotel will not automatically go under quarantine if another guest is found to be covid-19 positive. The guest will be immediately isolated and everybody who is with this guest will also be isolated for one day until their test results come back.

Hotels are required to follow strict "Health First" safety protocols which are designed to minimize the chances of one guest spreading to other guests. This way, if a positive case is discovered, the Greek authorities' can respond with a targeted approach using the track-and-trace method. They hope it won't be necessary to quarantine the entire hotel. Take a look here at how positive cases will be managed. There is a link to a page (in Greek) that describes the process in great detail.

If a hotel and its guests don't follow the protocols and the virus spreads uncontrollably, only then would the authorities have reason to quarantine the entire hotel but this can be avoided if everyone does their part and follows basic hygiene and social distancing rules.
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Well Augie I really hope your track and trace system is better than the shambolic state affairs going on over here! 🙈
  • nafepnafep Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any idea when flights to Kavala airport from the UK may be starting up again? We’re booked with Tui for early August but there’s been no news on whether this will happen. It seems that they’re certainly not flying there in July so it’s not looking too good.😞
    Thank!
  • SJR1991SJR1991 Member Posts: 18
    @nafep Anthony one of the other administrators has heard from the Tui Thassos office and there will be no flights from the UK to Kavala, so Tui will not be going to Thassos this year. We we're going in September so we're gutted! Maybe worth trying to change your holiday to one of the few islands Tui are planning to fly to in July...
    SRJ maybe next year. I knew deep down it was coming but a part of me was really hoping we’d still be going. I’m gutted i really am
  • nafepnafep Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response @SJR1991 - I was worried that might be the case as you can no longer book any Tui holidays for Thassos before May2021. Still, I’m a bit annoyed that Tui have not cancelled our holiday if this is the case and are still leading us on by implying that it could go ahead. Surely they already know that it’s not going to happen if there are no flights and should be cancelling it!!!
    It suggests to me that it is purely a financial decision not to fly to Kavala this year rather than a direct Covid related issue.
    Oh well, I’ll wait to see what they have to say when they eventually let us know it’s cancelled.
    Thanks again for the response - much appreciated!
  • hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    as far as i know, the uk is not on the list of countries greece is opening the borders for at the Moment.
    From what the CEO said on the tv I think it’s some what financial due to Covid. They are choosing the most popular destinations and by the time they start reviewing and adding on for August I suppose it is t viable for them to bother with what would be essentially 6 ish flights. They have stopped selling thassos for this year, I spoke to Hays who I booked with and they said they will be telling people in blocks so that not everyone is trying to claim their money in one go. I suppose from a business perspective it makes sense it’s just frustrating for us.

I’ve decided I will be booking for next year as soon as the foreign office change their advice, I’ve since found out that if you book a holiday when the foreign office are saying it’s not safe to travel then even if that’s changed by the time you go your insurance company can use the fact you booked it when advised against travel as a reason to not cover you for any claim no matter what your claiming for ie illness.
    Hi Leanne :)

That is some very useful knowledge, thank you so much for sharing!

Where did you learn that the insurance companies refuse to cover any claims if the travel insurance was taken out while the foreign office advises against traveling? Did an insurance company tell you this? Would they continue selling insurance to people knowing this would be the outcome?
    @broderick

I am sorry that I could not show the picture to Vangelis.
    Flisvos was not open while I was there.
    Just some repair works just before I left.
    What happened to that car in the end?
    Hi Augie, it was someone who works in insurance, but today I spoke to Hays travel and they said two things. Firstly there’s a talk that the foreign office will be changing advice next week or week after. Secondly she believes that I have been told wrong and that as long as at the time of travel there is no travel advice against going we’re fine. So that’s a much better situation. I don’t normally share half hearsay stories but since it was someone who works in insurance I thought they would know.