coronavirus - Page 3

Home General

coronavirus

13»

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi everybody :)

Greece Released a List of the First 20 Nations that Can Send Tourists to the Country

There are 3 categories:

Low Risk - Residents from these countries will be able to visit Greece starting June 15
    1. Cyprus
    2. Israel
    3. Germany
    4. Austria
    5. Romania
    6. Bulgaria
    7. Serbia
    8. Albania
    9. North Macedonia
    10. Bosnia and Herzegovina
    11. Croatia
    12. Hungary
    13. Poland
    14. Czech Republic
    15. Slovakia
    16. Denmark
    17. Norway
    18. China
    19. Australia
    20. Japan
    Medium Risk. Residents from these countries may be able to visit Greece starting July 1

High Risk. Residents from these countries may be able to visit Greece starting July 15

The U.K. is in the High-Risk category at the moment but we're very hopeful for good progress in containing covid-19 so that UK residents be able to visit us in Thassos this Summer!
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Augie,
    A big risk on some of those countries, Romania is certainly not free of it. I just hope you can keep it off the island.
  • hobgoblinhobgoblin Member (+) Posts: 58
    That's good news. of course those countries are not corona free, but there are smaller figures of new infections. in our area we haven't had a new case in 10 days now. we'll have to see what the Airlines will come up with and if that seems safe, we'll have a Summer holiday in thassos, we would not have thought that at the beginning of march. hopefully the situation in the UK will get better soon, so there might be hope for a holiday later in the year.
  • BurimBurim Member Posts: 2
    Hi to all of you, hats off for the administrator/moderators of the page as one can get all required info for the island!
    I am new to the community and it is my plan to visit Thassos for summer holidays this year. As I saw updated information on who will be allowed to enter the country, I would like to ask a question, maybe someone could help me or guide me on where to find this info:

I saw that starting June 15th tourists from NMKD will be allowed to enter Greece. My question is: I hold NMKD passport but my family (wife and kids) have US passports only. Do you think that entering Greece would be a problem even though we are not currently living in US and neither travelling from USA. Our point of entrance will be by car from NMKD to GR…

I would like to thank you on your support with info and wish you a successful touristic year, considering circumstances that we are facing with COVID19.

Sincerely,

Burim
    edited May 2020
    Hi Burim! :)

Welcome to our forum and thank you for your kind words! Will this be your first time to Thassos?

Greece has announced that residents traveling from NMKD will be able to travel to Greece starting June 15th. Therefore if your family are U.S. passport holders residing in NMKD then they have equal rights for entering Greece. I believe if you carry proof of their residency with you then they'll be allowed through at the border.

HOWEVER, even though Greece already decided to open its borders to "low-risk" countries on June 15th (including NMKD), those countries must also decide to open their borders for their residents to exit and re-enter.

I'm not aware of any decisions made by NMKD till now but hopefully they will make an announcement soon. Have you heard anything from your side of the border that you could share with us?
  • BurimBurim Member Posts: 2
    Hi Augie,

Thank you for your feedback!

Yes, it will be first time in Thassos but not first time in Greece... Been visiting Greece in several occasions so far.

I am quite confident that by confirming residence they entrance should not be a problem but I think I should find contacts and try to have a written confirmation before travelling so I don't run into any surprises at the border. I will try border police department if I find any number of theirs. Regarding the other side of the border I have checked and so far nothing is official yet, but possibly the borders will be open as of June 1st so lets see...

Looking forward to visit Thassos this summer, I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
    Hey Burim :)

We, too, are still waiting for the official announcements of the precise protocols for visiting Greece this summer. Today I spoke with the Greek Tourism Ministry as well as with the Health Ministry and they both informed me that those announcements will be made "in the coming days", which they later clarified can be as early as tomorrow or next week at the latest.

When the information is available we will post it on here so stay tuned!

An important point: Greece is planning to open its borders with Bulgaria and Serbia on June the 1st but I haven't heard if NMKD will be included in this corridor. This date is not for tourism, however. It's for commercial activities. So if someone tries to travel to Greece for tourism on June 1st they will be turned back. Greece will begin welcoming people into the country for tourism as of June 15.
    Hi everybody :)

Today Greece announced a revised and expanded list of 29 countries from which tourists can visit starting June 15
    1. Cyprus
    2. Germany
    3. Austria
    4. Denmark
    5. Switzerland
    6. Bulgaria
    7. Romania
    8. Serbia
    9. North Macedonia
    10. Slovakia
    11. Slovenia
    12. Czech Republic
    13. Albania
    14. Estonia
    15. Israel
    16. Croatia
    17. Latvia
    18. Lebanon
    19. Lithuania
    20. Malta
    21. Montenegro
    22. Norway
    23. Hungary
    24. Finland
    25. Australia
    26. New Zealand
    27. Japan
    28. China
    29. South Korea
  • AndreiAndrei Member Posts: 9
    Hi Augie,

Great news about opening borders.
    Are you aware about any measures while on the ferry?
    Loading only at half capacity or any other idea?

@Delboy
    Your comment is just rude.
  • martynnichollsmartynnicholls Member Posts: 9
    I took a day trip to Thassos from Keramote yesterday 29th May to do some fencing work on the land my Greek wife and I are selling in Astris https://www.viviun.com/AD-155196/. The ferry was pretty full in both directions. I took a 7:00 am ferry to Thassos and a 2:00 pm ferry back to Keramote. My only concern was that the wearing of masks was not being enforced and very few people were wearing them. The ferry was mainly full of truckers, delivery drivers and workers.
  • martynnichollsmartynnicholls Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone,

Did you notice my deliberate mistake? Keramoti has an "i" at the end, not and "e". Sorry. I'm on old git and I was never any good at spelling.

Regards,

Martyn
    Hi Andrei :)

These are the official instructions released by the Ministry of Health for ferries. From my understanding, these will be required and enforceable measures. I don't know why people were not following these measures according to Martyn's account on 29 May, but I believe when tourism begins they will be fully enforced.

No worries, Martyn! We all knew what you meant ;)
  • broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    Tui have advised me they are refunding my full money for my holiday which was due to start a week today.

Thank God we have been given some Greece like weather over recent weeks in the UK to make the blow softer.

I do hope the UK is soon in a position to be added to the list and remain there so we can return next year. But more important I hope the economy of Thassos can make up the loss of income during rest of this holiday season and into next year.

I believe the extension of the season should be explored to end of October for this year and next to make a difference.

Steve
    edited June 2020
    Hi Steve :)

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you'll be getting a full cash refund. Our fingers are still crossed that you will be able to come to Thassos this summer. A lot can change in the next 1 to 2 months so let's wait, see, and hope together! Summer is still young (technically it's still spring) so we have time.
  • AndreiAndrei Member Posts: 9
    Thx all for the helpful details.
    I will take the morning ferry to the island on June 15.
    Anyone around? Meet you at Golden Beach. 😁
  • cenecene Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all. Аnyone have new information about ferries? We have a trip on June 18 and I heard that the ferries only run at 30% capacity which leaves a lot of people waiting and some can't get on all day. I wonder if I should book tickets in advance? What do you think?
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    That is fake news. The ferries run all the time and the official capacity at the moment is 50% Very soon that is going to stop as well. Nobody has to wait long for the next ferry. There are more than 20 runs a day from Keramoti to Thassos at the moment and that number is going to increase as more people are allowed to enter the island. You better get your information from go-thassos. Good or bad news, you will be able to read them there.
    Hi Cene :)

As Gregory said that is simply not true. Could you please tell us where you heard that?