Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 127

Home Go-Thassos Comments

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    Looking lovely once again this morning, although the camera periodically seems to have the shakes! Too much Tsiporou last night?
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    :lol: @ Frenchie

The shaking is caused by what we believe is a (technical) bug that we've never been able to find and squash. It shakes randomly and infrequently, with no pattern whatsoever, so we're still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Wait a second... since tsipouro is a cure for almost every ailment perhaps you're onto something Frenchie... maybe that's the secret for curing the camera's bug!
  • broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    I was due to be at Golden Beach in 9 days time and seeing the parasols being erected at the spot we spent several days last year is making me a bit sad. However thanks for the great service you are providing. Watching few minutes ago there is car parked
    and couple fishing. It would have made great shot for car advert.
    Hi Broderick :)

It looks like you took a picture of your computer screen using a mobile device.

Did you know that with a click of a button (see red circle below) you can download a snapshot of what you see on the webcam? The button will appear when you mouse over the webcam.

Have a great weekend!
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    edited May 2020
    Oh clicked and got the photo but can't seem to add it on here

Hi Delboy :)

You'll need to go here in order to post the photo on this Webcam chat feed.

The photo upload tool is only available in the forum and not here on the Webcam page, unfortunately!
  • Radar60Radar60 Member Posts: 4
    We are due to come to thassos end of august from UK what do you think the chances of us being able to come.
  • martynnichollsmartynnicholls Member Posts: 9
    High Radar,

I live locally on the mainland. I think you will be fine. Everything is starting to open up. The ferries are functioning as normal now and I believe come August everything will be more or less back to normal. The separation on beaches will probably still be enforced but most of the beaches, tavernas and bars will be open. Your only problem could be from UK Government if they do not accept the reciprocally of an 'Air Corridor'. Enjoy your stay on wonderful Thassos.

Martyn
  • Radar60Radar60 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Marty

Thanks for your reply I hope your right and we can return to Thassos in August. I have been looking at the web cam and see some sunbeds on the beach good sign.
  • frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    Loving the views of the beach! Loooks like the local youngsters, and possibley a few weekend visitors, are enjoying their beach before tourists once again arrive from overesaes. That's how it was, withouth the buildings, brollies and sunbeds - only sand dunes, reeds and plane trees - when I first visited, 41 years ago.. Hope the visitors will be many, keen to spend their holiday money and all virus free. Stay safe and well all you Thassians..Take care of yourselves and your beautiful islanf
  • JaiJai Member Posts: 29
    Hi All, Just found out on 23.06.20, that TUI have pulled out of Thassos remaining 2020. As i was keeping one eye on the holidays for August. We were meant to be in Thassos now 22nd to 6th July. Obvious reasons we are unable to travel due to UK government advice. Their www.tui.co.uk website you can book for 2021. So sorry for the Thassians if you were ready for the Brits, unless some dramatic change from UK government policy, many businesses on the island maybe affected. Good Luck, i hope see my friends in Thassos soon
    Hi Jai :)

That's very sad news indeed. Could you please share your source with us? We'd really appreciate knowing where you learned that TUI has officially pulled out of Thassos in 2020 because just yesterday we spoke with the local TUI office on Thassos and they didn't know this.
    Hi Augie, whether they have made it official I do not know. I found out when I called them to see if i could amend my holiday to August. I was advised by TUI adviser that there are no more holidays until 2021, and could book for then. As i can go independently via Thessaloniki, so I asked for a refund and checked their website, after finished on the call. There are no holidays to Thassos, or flights to Kavala on their UK Website www.tui.co.uk. You can check for yourself - it shows -all gone. TUI reps on the island should let the Hoteliers and restaurateurs know this i feel it is their right as Tourism is one of the main sources of the income on the island. It might be worth asking the Reps their in Thassos for clarity?

We did ask the reps here on Thassos for some clarity yesterday but they couldn't offer any. My thinking is that TUI headquarters may be waiting to see how the situation develops before making any decisions and subsequent announcements.

At the moment, as things stand now in the UK, I believe it's impossible for TUI to make some of their plans as we continue waiting for the EU and the UK to lift travel restrictions in July and beyond. Considering how Greece is one of the few safe destinations where TUI could bring tourists and make some revenue this summer, it would be in their interest to bring people to Thassos as well as the other destinations in Greece, assuming there would be enough demand in the UK.

We're still holding on to hope until we hear something official. Keep us posted with what you hear on your side, please! :)
    Hi Augie,

Will do !

One way or another I am determined to visit my favourite place and friends this summer
  • cgukcguk Member Posts: 13
    Hi Augie,

Many thanks for keeping the camera on the wedding party at the end of the beach
    lovely to watch - see you next year as we couldn't come in June this year - stay safe all of you -0930 hours - 25.06.20
    edited June 2020
    Hi cguk :)

We're glad you were able to watch the happy couple tying the knot live from Golden Beach! We had no idea about the wedding ceremony in advance... we simply noticed them setting up for it on the pier and then my partner, Sebastian, focused the camera there thinking you might enjoy watching the happy occasion.

Sebastian is the guy behind the curtain who controls the webcam and he's also the one who does the risky climbing up the roof in order to clean the webcam for you when it collects rain spots and dust patches. Speaking of cleaning, I think it might be time for another... Sebaaastiiaaaan!

My partner, Anthony, confirmed just today that TUI won't be flying to Thassos in 2020. He called the Thassos TUI office again and they were able to confirm this time.

He announced it here:
    https://community.go-thassos.gr/discussion/577/tui-uk-travelling-to-thassos

Our next bet is for the UK and EU to lift restrictions this summer so that you can travel here independently. We'll keep an eye on these developments and keep you posted!
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Augie,
    I saw the event on the pier towards the end and thought it was a photo shoot lol. I said to my wife if I had been there perhaps I could have asked if I could also get a few shots of it.

However, what I thought was a model was obviously the bride.

I did later do a snapshot from the webcam whilst they were putting all the equipment and archway into the van but probably not much use to the bride lol
    Haha just a tad bit late perhaps, Delboy! :smiley:

There's no doubt the lucky couple would've been immortalized in history via your 2020 Thassos Holiday Report!!
  • marie22marie22 Member (+) Posts: 20
    we are due to travel 2nd august to thassos, will be our 14th visit, i have read there are 8 cases of covid on the island and theses cases are quarantined currently at a hotel outside of thassos town , but the news source does say some information could be fake, has anyone any update on this, thanks
    Hi Marie22 :)

Wow, it's going to be your 14th visit already? This will be quite a unique experience compared to your previous 13 trips... fewer crowds and more beach to yourself!

I can confirm we do have cases of covid-19 on the island who are currently staying at the quarantine hotel but this is no reason for concern because the situation remains under control. They are young, asymptomatic cases that tested positive at the land border when they were entering Greece. Thassos was their final destination. The authorities informed these people and moved them to the quarantine hotel. I heard they are feeling ok and are showing no symptoms.

FYI We've been discussing this and similar topics here.
  • marie22marie22 Member (+) Posts: 20
    Thanks for the confirmation, i think we could get a liking for the fewer crowds and beaches to ourselves will take us back to our first trips but wish it was under different circumstances, its a very different trip all around for us , for the first time we will be flying into Thessaloniki from uk and driving to keramoti with car hire, all previous trips being flying into kavala and a 2 week scooter hire on thassos....i think we need to embrace the change and hold onto the positives it bringsbut i wont be counting any chickens until i am on the island ;)
  • Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
    Marie22, you will find the drive very easy,we have done it 3 or 4 times now and it's quite a pleasant drive.
    Make sure you have some change for the tolls on the motorway,i'm not sure how much it is now,I think it was 2 euros last time we did it.