Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 126

Home Go-Thassos Comments

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    Hi there, frenchie :)

The floods last November did cause some damage in a few places around the island but Golden Beach benefited because the small rocky areas on the Skala Potamia side are now completely covered in sand! Would you believe it if I told you that the beach there is wider than it was before?

We're glad that you're loving the gentle stroll along the beach and thank you for taking a moment to comment, we really appreciate it!
  • Kip van KapokKip van Kapok Member Posts: 8
    Hello dear Augie, how are you? It's nice to hear that there is no damage to the beach, but what about the forests and trees? Has much damage been caused there? I hope it is not too bad, the forests and trees are very dear to us. I hope you can answer us. Thank you and have a nice day. :-)
    Hi Kip van Kapok :)

I'm doing well, thanks! It's nice hearing from you again!

Generally speaking, the forests and trees are doing very well. A small number of trees fell during the flood but the forests didn't suffer.

Most damages happened in places where people have constructed buildings over the natural springs where water naturally flows from the mountains to the sea. These streams were overwhelmed with so much water and since they were blocked by buildings, the water was forced to create new paths... which is how most of the damage was caused in and around some villages. The forests didn't have this problem.

Also, some mountain paths were destroyed and are now impassable, such as the foot path from Potamia to Mt. Ypsarion. Hopefully they will be repaired soon.
    Hello dear Augie,

Thank you for your answer. I am very happy to hear that the forests and trees have not suffered from the flood! :-)

I hope that the damage to the villages can be properly repaired, and that not too many people have suffered damage.

And hopefully the hiking trails can be made passable again.

I wish you good luck and have a nice sunday. :-)
  • EllieEllie Member (+) Posts: 31
    Hi Augie,

We're thrilled that you've brought back the beach walk ... loving it! Thank you :-)
    Hello dear Augie, how are you? I hope you are healthy. What about the coronavirus on Thassos? Are many people sick? I wish you all a lot of health and strength. And when all the misery is over we hope to come back again. Cordial greetings! :-)
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    No coronavirus case on Thassos yet. We hope to keep it like this. People are generally very careful and apply to the measures of the State. Now that we are more or less isolated from the mainland, the danger is even less. We watch the world news and stay home to keep the virus outside.
  • dodododo Member Posts: 13
    Kip van Kapok, Why you post here with questions about coronavirus? Load this discussion Live webcam unnecessarily. There are 2 other discussions started on coronavirus where you can find answers.
    https://community.go-thassos.gr/discussion/569/travelling-to-thassos-under-coronavirus#latest
    https://community.go-thassos.gr/discussion/566/coronavirus#latest
    Hi Kip Van Kapok! :)

I'm doing well my friend, staying home and keeping healthy like a good citizen. I hope you're doing the same.

As Dodo highlighted, we've been discussing the coronavirus in those 2 discussions.

You probably didn't notice them earlier so please feel free to read up and if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them for you there.

Thank you for helping us keep Go-Thassos organized for everybody.

Happy Sunday and stay well!
    Hello dear Augie,

Good to hear that you are doing well! I'm doing fine too and I stay at home as much as possible.

I indeed did not know about the two discussions. I will visit them. Thank you!

The Go-Thassos is a comfort in this difficult times and its very nice to look at it.

I wish you the very best and stay well!
  • frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    What, not snow on the mountains??
    Yep, your eyes are not deceiving. That's real snow on the mountains! :)
  • SueSue Member (+) Posts: 35
    I doesn't look like we'll be visiting Thassos this year, but the camera is a much needed thing to see every day as we self isolate. Thanks Augie and team. Stay safe.
    Hi Sue :)

We're so glad the webcam is helping you through this challenging time of self-isolation.

Staying home can be very challenging, I understand, but it's keeping you and countless others healthy so I'm happy you are hunkering down responsibly. Bravo!

Thassos will be here waiting for you when the time is right.

In the meantime, keep smiling and please share the webcam with your friends and relatives who might also benefit from it while undergoing self-isolation.

Thank you so much for your kind words of support.
  • PaulHPaulH Member (+) Posts: 7
    HI! I was enjoying my view of Golden beach this afternoon (about 15.30 UK time - and I'm sure I saw mom goats on the beach! Just down from the Fedra. Were my eyes deceiving me?!!! Love to all in Thassos from locked down Brighton UK!
  • GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    edited April 2020
    Very probably you have seen the goats of Eleftheria who takes them for a walk some times to the beach during these days when the beach is empty. It is her babies, she takes good care of them, (and her other animals, cats, dogs, ducks), she makes yogurt and cheese out of their milk. If you happen to stay at her hotel you might have the chance of tasting her home products, plus her homemade wine and tsipouro and other special delicacies like sarmadakia. Enjoy the views of Golden beach and don't despair. You can plan a trip to Thassos even this year.
  • grandma56grandma56 Member (+) Posts: 48
    Good morning, wishing you all a good Easter celebrations in these different times.
    Stay safe everyone and we will be back to visit as soon as it is possible and safe for everyone.
  • JaiJai Member Posts: 29
    Good Morning Augie, I understand that there is a heatwave there at the moment. Keep safe. Jai
    Good morning, Jai! :)

I hope to go for my first swim of 2020 tomorrow (Saturday) since the local weather reports are predicting a lovely 29 °C.

This heatwave is from the Sahara desert so if you notice the sky looking a bit orange on the webcam it's because of the fine particles of African sand in the air.

Stay safe and please keep the peace with Gango in the meantime. :wink:
  • JaiJai Member Posts: 29
    Hey Augie,

Amazing view as always on the webcam
    So lucky, that beautiful Aegean Sea.
    Enjoy your swim & have fun in the Sun
    Me & Gango will be there soon 🤞
    😎 Jai
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    What are the restrictions at the moment in Greece and thassos. Are they going to be able to have tourists visit this summer. I don’t think we will be able to go as government in UK said don’t expect to have foreign holidays this year 🙁stay safe and hope to be there in skala potamia next year
    edited May 2020
    Hi Toni :smile:

We expect Greece's land, air, and sea borders will be opened on July 1st if not earlier. Since we're doing exceptionally well and have very few new cases on a daily basis, the re-opening date may be brought forward as early as June 15. It depends on the situation over the next couple of weeks.

Greece is not going to enforce a 14-day quarantine on people arriving to the country but they will need to test negative for covid-19 before departing their home country.

The Greek government is planning to conduct temperature checks on people arriving at airports and land borders. Health questionnaires will also be given to all arrivals.

The EU has left it up to each individual country to decide on travel restrictions which means it will be up to Greece and the UK to make a bilateral agreement to allow travel between the two countries. Greece is keen on you being allowed to come this summer so I hope the covid-19 situation improves enough in the UK to give your government the confidence it needs to allow you to travel safely.

We're expecting new announcements from the Greek government tomorrow and over the next few weeks. We're putting together a webpage that will act as a resource of information and we'll try to answer as many questions as possible there. When it's ready we'll let you know! Please keep an eye on the forum.

It probably seems strange as a concept but perhaps you will need to book last minute in order to come this summer, when the situation allows.

Your safety comes first so let's try to be patient as our governments and health experts find a safe path forward.

Don't give up on 2020 yet because we haven't! :smile:
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    Thank you Augie for the update. We will definitely monitor the situation and will keep checking the forum for updates. Will keep our fingers crossed x
    I do so enjoy my morning visit to the Golden Beach webcam site, Although we in the UK have have been having the better weather for the last couple of weeks, "schorchio" again here today!

I do so hope that the easing of travel restrictions for visitors to Thassos is successful and doesn't impact too much upon the remarkable success that Greece has had generally in controlling the spread of this dreadful disease. It is so difficult when the decisions between sustaining an economy for the future has to be balanced against any impact upon the health of a nation and its guests.

Σας εύχομαι καλή τύχη, Θάσος
    Just enjoyed my late morning stroll (rather too fast for my little legs) along the beach all the way from the old fishermens' store at Scala Potamia to the little concrete pier at the other end of Golden Beach. What a fantastic idea this is. I'm sitting now at my desk recovering with my coffee!

How strange it is, late May, to see it so empty and looking so beautiful - just waiting for the world to come back to normal, whatever normal is once again.

It just shows, no matter what else is going on around us, that beauty and nature still exist and they will always be there for us. Hang on Golden Beach, we'll be back sometime soon....