Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 125

Home Go-Thassos Comments

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    Hi we have traveled to Kavala via Thessalonika, I found it much cheaper and didn't mind the journey. The motor way is very quiet. Only problem is no one wants to drive.
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Wendy that is where the hoteliers seem to be missing a trick in not running a coach down from Thessalonika and back on a weekend. Not sure of the cost but a travel ticket included for each of 50 passengers would bring more revenue to the island. Which if successful could expand.
    People doing it independently would be paying the hotelier far more than what any package companies pay them
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    I agree del, and much less stressful !
    Maybe now thomas cook aren’t flying they might consider it. However I think they will still do ok for tourists with other Europeans so might not bother.
    IMO the Island needs to think outside the box to open it up to the Western side but if they are happy with the situation then it won't change. Tavernas would also benefit from more people eating out. Not sure if the Germans get better flights into Kavala than we do
  • Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    It's such a shame, we stay independently but its too expensive with TUI. I hope in the future another company will fly there. We have been going to Thassos since the 90's and i'm really upset to think we won't be going next year.
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Wendy I’ve been like a kid whose had her toys taken away since I found out 😞
  • Rob7853Rob7853 Member Posts: 7
    Hi every one
    I have been travelling to Thassos for many years independent
    I have been looking read for next year and there is a way to get direct to Kavala which I shall be trying next year
    Aegean Airlines run flights direct to Kavala regularly it does take 8 hours but it does save the drive from Thessaloniki
    Checking flights for September costs listed on line are less than half the cost that Tui are quoting
    This is what I shall be trying raven with the one stop in the flight
    Got to be worth a try
    See you all there
  • Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
    Rob7853
    Where do they fly from direct as I can only find indirect flights from Stansted & Heathrow
  • Rob7853Rob7853 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Adrian
    As far as I know only indirect flights are available probably via Athens which is why the flight time is stated as 8 hours in total
    I still think this is a reasonable compromise which still gets you to Kavala at a reasonable price which will avoid the long journey from Thessaloniki we have also been informed that car hire insurance could be considerably hirer as the are hotting up on vehicles being taken off the main land
    I am pretty sure that this is the route that I shall be taking unless other airlines come to light as I just can’t see me paying Tui prices to get to our favourite destination
    Will keep looking at all possibilities though
    Hi Rob,

The flights via Athens are mentioned in the 'Spanner in the works' thread. Augie reported they are reasonable in winter but hike up the price in the summer season.
  • grandma56grandma56 Member (+) Posts: 48
    Hope everyone is ok with all the recent heavy rainfall.
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited November 2019
    Hi Grandma,

Wow... talking about rainfall! I've never seen so much rain and flooding in all the years I've lived here.

Thassos was in the eye of a mini-cyclone yesterday, along with Kavala and Halkidiki.

Many homes and businesses were flooded and now the islanders are racing against the clock to prepare for the next round of rain and bad weather headed this way. They're trying to clear out the streams that are plugged up which caused a lot of extra flooding in our streets.

The island is currently under a national emergency.

The Greek military arrived this morning with heavy vehicles and equipment to help the locals cope with and manage the disaster. Repairs and clean up efforts are ongoing.

Government officials came via helicopter to Thassos today after they visited Halkidiki (the worst hit), to assess the situation and decide on emergency measures. The officials were the Greek Minister of National Defence, the Deputy Minister of Interior, the Secretary-General for Civil Protection, the Secretary-General for Infrastructure, the Secretary-General for Agribusiness and Social Affairs, and the Chief of the Department of Agricultural Policy and Management.
  • Kip van KapokKip van Kapok Member Posts: 8
    Hi Augi, how terrible! I wish you all a lot of strenght!
    Thanks so much for your words of support, Kip! They make a real difference. :)

The community has been coming together and helping each other tirelessly over the last couple of days. It's a beautiful thing to watch.
  • terryterry Member (+) Posts: 14
    All our thoughts are with all the islanders at this time .you Thassians are a resilient lot and your ability to get together when times require
    God be with you ♥️🇬🇷
  • cgukcguk Member Posts: 13
    Goodness - is that snow I see on the mountains
  • Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
    Only 169 days until we return to our favourite Greek island
    Middle of June, Adrian? One of the best times to visit! B)
  • EllieEllie Member (+) Posts: 31
    Augie, is the camera down? We haven't been able to get it for several days. Anyway ... happy new year to you all!
    Hi Ellie :)

The camera is working but it's not communicating with our server properly. We're in touch with our internet service provider and waiting for a solution from them. Due to the holidays it's taking some extra time to sort but rest assured we are doing everything we can to get it back online asap!

Happy New Year to you, too!!!
    Happy New Year everybody! May 2020 be your best year yet and hopefully we'll see you in Thassos this Summer! :smiley:

PS. I'm happy to announce the webcam is back online! I know, it could use a good clean... we'll get on it. ;)
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    Happy Christmas to all
    Webcam fine now Augie -Happy New Year to all you Thassonians - will be on that beach in June
    Is that snow I see again on the mountains
  • frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    Loving the long, slow stroll along the beach... Genius. You guys amaze us..
    Doesn't look like there was to much damage to the beach after the deluges and floods, or have it all been cleared??