Dog on the beach

Home General

Dog on the beach

tompittompit Member Posts: 4
Is it allowed to be on the beach with a dog? How does it look like on Golden Beach?
Are there any legal regulations ?

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Tompit :)

Yes sir, there are legal regulations to be aware.

For hygienic reasons, it's forbidden by law for dogs to swim where people are swimming. I'd avoid allowing your dog in the water if there are people swimming nearby. If your dog likes to swim, it would be best to take it to a beach or to a section of a beach where there are no people swimming. This can be pretty challenging during the height of the tourist season when there are a lot of people but it's not impossible. Golden Beach gets very busy so if you can't make it work there, try taking your dog to nearby Kinira or a little further away to Skala Rachoni, where you can enjoy long stretches of beautiful sandy beach with far less people.

You also need to keep your furry friend on a leash and next to you at all times when there are other people on the beach. Some people have a fear of dogs and by keeping your dog leashed and next to you, you can ensure nobody gets scared and/or complains.

Make sure to keep your dog's health book with you in case you're asked to prove your dog is vaccinated and healthy.

I called the police station for more information and they instructed me to call the local Town Hall for more details of the regulations. The Town Hall is closed for the day but I'll phone them tomorrow for more info and let you know here.

Have a great rest of the day!
    edited July 2019
    Hey again :)

I spoke with the authorities at the Town Hall and they informed me that pets are only forbidden from visiting beaches that have a Blue Flag.
    1. Makryammos Beach
    2. Agios Ioannis Beach
    3. Pefkari Beach
    4. Dasilio Beach
    Pets are allowed to visit any other beach... as long as they don't disturb other beach goers.

I hope you have a great time with your dog on Thassos!
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Augie,

Are you sure about Golden Beach, as there are some websites that say it is a blue flag beach ?
    https://www.studios-arsenis.gr/
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    digging around a bit more it would appear not to have one in a 2019 list, did it have one and then lose it ?
    Hey Delboy!

You're absolutely right, Golden Beach did indeed have a Blue Flag and only today I found out it doesn't have one this year. I will try to find out what happened and let you know. :neutral:
  • tompittompit Member Posts: 4
    Dear Augie,
    Thank you for you effort and the so comprehensive information. I am impressed by your professional approach to the matter.
    Have a nice day!