Augie

Home General

Augie

Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
You mentioned on another post (I didn’t want to hijack it lol) that you have been swimming in skala rachoni this week ... can you tell me has the sea cleared up now? You might remember we arrived a couple of days after the storms and when we tried to snorkel at S.R the sea was so full of algae that you couldn’t really see much. I’m back with my two daughters at the end of the month and I know one of them is keen to snorkel

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited August 2018
    Hi Leanne :)

On Sunday I had an awesome afternoon at the beach in Skala Rachoni. More specifically (since it's a very long beach), I was at the beach in front of Taverna Ploumis. The water was crystal clear and I didn't notice any traces of algae. If the weather continues to be sunny as it's been the last couple of weeks, I think your daughter will enjoy an algae-free snorkeling adventure!

Algae forms in the sea when rain water from the mountains and forests flow into it. It usually sticks around for just a few days after the rainfall occurred. This summer, we had more rainfall in June and July than I've ever seen in my 12 years of living on Thassos. Grrr!

For the last 2 weeks, the Mediterranean climate has returned to Thassos and it's been very sunny and hot. Going forward, the forecast looks consistent and very promising! :)
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Thanks Augie!! Keeping my fingers crossed as it’s the end of August and my eldest hasn’t seen the island yet! I can’t wait to get back!! (23 days 😀😀)