weather

Home Traveling to Thassos

weather

eftyefty Member Posts: 3
hows the weather usuallly during summer days of July?

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    Hi Efty,

In July it's hot, sunny, and dry. Usually the daytime high is between 32-38 degrees.

Further south in the Cyclades, the Meltemi Winds make it rather windy in July. Meltemi winds don't effect us much on Thassos.
  • paul36paul36 Member Posts: 6
    How is the weather just now we are arriving in a week and the forecast dosnt look very good?
    Yesterday we had clouds but no rain. The last week or so has been beautiful albeit the forecasts have been showing rain. Don't believe the forecasts entirely because most of the data used to forecast Thassos weather comes from the mainland which is more prone to rainfall and clouds than is the island. :)
  • AnanaAnana Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm here now and actually it's raining like.. :( so before you will travel here, check the forecast because it showing real situation. Like they say we have raining, storm and it's terrible. Probably until Friday we will have rain :(
    Yesterday I posted the message below under the live webcam comments.

Paul, in regards to the weather forecast, there's a big weather front moving into Greece and the local forecasters are saying every part of Greece will be affected. We expect rain from Tuesday through Thursday. It's much needed rain to be honest as May was extremely dry and hot (abnormally so). The island's vegetation could use a drink and a shower to freshen up and reduce the risk of fires.

If it's raining while you're visiting Thassos, I highly recommend taking the opportunity to visit the many folklore and historical museums doting the island. Here's a list of them: http://www.go-thassos.gr/about-thassos/museums
    Anana, rain was in the forecast last week but we didn't get any rain at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I seen the weather it looks really bad just now. We arive in Friday morning so it will maybe change by then.
  • AnanaAnana Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I think I've been underused you well because you write :
    " Don't believe the forecasts entirely because most of the data used to forecast Thassos weather comes from the mainland which is more prone to rainfall and clouds than is the island. :) "
    I write this post for people who thinking to come here. It's better to suggest by forecast than sitting at hotel.
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Forecast is showing it will improve on Friday with just a little rain Sunday night. paul36 are you flying from Britain Friday? We also arrive on Friday!
    We have friends who arrived on the island on Sunday and they messaged me yesterday slightly grumpy about the rain but hey we live in the wettest part of Britain so we’re used to it lol 🙃
    Yeah we are flying from Manchester on Friday morning.
    We will be on the same flight 😀😀 where are you staying? We’re staying in skala rachoni
    We are staying in skala potamia. Fingers crossed the weather improves.
    Hey Paul and Leanne, from my experience living on Thassos for the last 12 years, this is the most accurate local weather forecast:

http://www.poseidon.hcmr.gr/weather_forecast.php?area_id=gr

Above the map where it says "select parameter", select "Rainfall"

Above the map where it says "select date", select the date and time for which you want to see the rainfall forecast.

Right now it looks like we'll have rain through Friday. Saturday and onwards will be much better (hopefully). My fingers are crossed! :)
    Thank you Augie, I shall take a look 😀😀
  • GangoGango Member (+) Posts: 38
    No matter what the weather I'd still rather be in Thassos than sitting at my desk right now. As Augie says there are so many museums (Limenas is fabulous - I love the gold jewellery). Also 3 monasteries to visit, Costis Pottery in Limenas or take the ferry to Kavala and go shopping!
    Costis is the only place I wanted to go and we didn’t make! Hopefully we will ge their in September