Live Service Updates

Go-Thassos WebsiteGo-Thassos Website Administrator Posts: 2,286
edited July 2015 in Go-Thassos Comments
Live Service Updates

Read the full story here

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited July 2015
    Please think twice before canceling your plans to visit Thassos because of the Greek economic situation. The island is still an oasis of calm and beauty where you will enjoy an unforgettable holiday this summer!

Do you have any questions or concerns about going to Thassos? Have you heard any negative news that you would like us to check and verify if it's true?

Let us know right here and we'll try to address it for you as quickly as possible. :)
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    we are a little worried as we travel independent, flying BA to Thessaloniki and then a hire car to drive to keramoti.
    Do you think we will have to pay cash for the balance we owe on the car. Normally we use our credit card.
    Any thoughts on this would be a help. We don't travel till 3rd August so things may be a bit clearer by then.
  • Alex BrownAlex Brown Member (+) Posts: 7
    We travel independently and usually pay cash for our car, although being in touch with them last week they said we can still pay by card, although with this week's developments that may now change. We don't mind.

Resigned to having to bring a load of cash with us, which is a concern until we get to the security box in our apartment. But don't want to risk empty ATM's and also don't think it's fair if tourists openly drain them whilst locals can only take €60.

Augie, I am more worried about shops and tavernas not having the finances to replenish food / supplies etc, what are the thoughts there?
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the questions, both are very good.

Toni, credit cards can still be accepted as a form of payment by businesses who have the facility. In your case I would contact the car hire company and ask them directly just a few days prior to your arrival, say, on the 30th of July. By then we hope the situation will settle and more normalcy will return. We'll keep you updated.

Alex, until now the locals haven't had any problems with food, supplies, etc. Generally speaking, there isn't much concern on the island because it's mainly a cash-based economy already. Most food products you'll find at tavernas are either local or Greek (and Greece has no shortages of food, as you can imagine!). Local trade is still being done as it normally is done, with cash. In terms of the supermarkets, they normally order 7-10 days in advance and places still look fully stocked. A few of the supermarket chains on the island are under the umbrella of international companies which I would suspect can make payments and new deliveries even under current circumstances. Of course, we hope the circumstances will change for the better immediately after Sunday's vote.

Did I answer your questions?

I'm open to more questions to help settle concerns so everyone please feel free to post here. :)
  • Richard GillRichard Gill Member (+) Posts: 3
    Has every thing gone up in price
    Hi Richard,

Nope, they haven't.

Prices appear stable across the board... in supermarkets, restaurants, gas stations, etc. As I've been going about my day over the last few days I haven't noticed anything really change, neither in price or availability of goods. Till now everything seems completely normal on the island. The only exceptions are the banks, which we hope will re-open soon.
    Someone has mentioned to me the concern of crime. They have said that there may be heightened crime, especially burglaries of tourist apartments, knowing that there is a high likelihood of large amounts of cash inside, even if secured in a security box.

What's the thoughts on that, I can't see security boxes being stolen that easily?!
    edited July 2015
    Hi Alex,

I contacted the local police station and spoke with an officer about your concern (Tel: +30 25930 23111). I was told there haven't been any reports of theft at any local hotel establishments.

I can see the logic behind this concern but I think it'll be completely safe especially if you have a security box in your room and you remember to keep it locked. Safes are normally bolted to the wall and very difficult to remove. The noise one would have to make while trying to remove it would most likely attract attention.

Also, most hotel establishments on Thassos are small and medium sized, so owners and staff are easily able to monitor the people that come and go. Consider this as another layer of protection.

Personally, I don't think there is a serious risk. I would be careful but not concerned.
    Thanks Augie,

Such a shame we are having these concerns. This our 9th visit and to have to even ask these sorts of questions makes us feel sad about how it must feel for all Greek locals at the moment.
    edited July 2015
    You're very welcome, Alex.

The situation is tough indeed but all of the locals are working very hard to ensure that every person who comes will have a wonderful holiday.

You and everyone who are deciding to come during these difficult times are helping and supporting the locals in a huge way. Thank you!

I'm sure you will enjoy Thassos on your 9th visit as much as you did on your 1st. :)
  • Hutóczki FerencHutóczki Ferenc Member (+) Posts: 12
    No problem july 27 Thassos direction
  • Milosevic PedjaMilosevic Pedja Member (+) Posts: 1
    NICE !!
    GO GREECE !!
    edited July 2015
    Hi everyone,

Here's an opinion piece about Greece that offers different insights and perspective you probably don't hear much in the media (quick 5 minute read).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/07/help-greece-go-on-holiday-cheap-beautiful
  • Baila MihaelaBaila Mihaela Member (+) Posts: 1
    hello,
    we shall travel to thassos at the end of the august by car and I want to know if you expect having any problems with gasoline. thank you.
    edited July 2015
    Hi Mihaela,

We do not expect any problems with gasoline so please don't worry.

According to Hellenic Petroleum, the supplier of gasoline in Greece, the gas reserves of the country are sufficient for months. You can see the Press Release on their official website: http://www.helpe.gr/en/media-center/press-releases/news-eparkeia-kaysimwn-kai-leitoyrgia-prathriwn-elpe

Also, I personally spoke with petrol station owners on Thassos and all of them told me they have no problems and they expect to have gas for the whole summer.

If anything changes I promise we will let you know on this page. :)
  • norminanormina Member (+) Posts: 1
    Hi, we come to Greece on holidays from about 20 years and 5/6 years to Thassos, we love your lands, your food, your sea. This summer we planned some days in samothraki and about 2 weeks in thassos. We are not worried for shortage of foods or gasoline, but for the strikes and the mood of greek people. Consider that we travel by car from italy, above all we are worried about strikes in Igoumenitsa port. Do you expect having any problems about?
    edited July 2015
    Hi Normina,

Thank you for your kind words, they bring comfort and hope to many ordinary Greeks! :)

So far there haven't been any new announcements about strikes for ports, ships or sailors.

I recommend these two websites for news about strikes in Greece. Both are regularly updated and are my go-to sources for strike information.

Here are the links:
    http://www.ekathimerini.com/
    http://www.tovima.gr/en/
  • Hutóczki FerencHutóczki Ferenc Member (+) Posts: 12
    Ζήτω οι Έλληνες ζουν στην ελευθερία των Ούγγρων ζουν στη Θάσο μαζί σας !!!
  • Gunnar HefloGunnar Heflo Member (+) Posts: 1
    Hi Augie!
    Is there any problems using the ATM or Mastercard in Skala Potamia?
    Hi Gunnar,

There shouldn't be a problem although that particular ATM in Skala Potamia has a reputation of running out of money since it is the only one supplying the entire resort. This has been a problem for years and is not beacause of the bank closures.

By the way, there is a new ATM in Skala Panagia where you can try to get cash if the one in Skala Potamia is empty. Otherwise, just take a short trip to Limenas. You'll definitely find cash in one of the many ATMs there. :)
  • JazumaluJazumalu Member (+) Posts: 7
    Hi! We are going to Thassos in August by own car. I checked the Ferry Schedule on your web site. Would you please explain me the words ΦΙΛΙΑΓΚΟΣ and ΚΟΙΝ-ΑΝΕΘ in the schedule. Thank you in advance!
    edited July 2015
    Hi Jazumalu,

Good question!

Those are the names of the ferry companies. There are 3:
    1. ΦΙΛΙΑΓΚΟΣ
    2. ΑΝΕΘ
    3. ΚΟΙN

Where you see "ΚΟΙΝ-ΑΝΕΘ" that means either the one or the other is operating at that time.

Hope you have a pleasant trip to Thassos! :)
  • craigrothoncraigrothon Member (+) Posts: 1
    I'm going to Thassos in 2 weeks today, staying in Limenas,any updates on ATMs? Tried to save enough to bring enough cash however I think I will need to withdraw some money in the last few days of my holiday.
    Hi Craigrothon,

The ATMs have been running very smoothly over the last few weeks and I haven't heard of any problems whatsoever for anybody. If you need to withdraw money whilst on Thassos and in Greece, I think you will be totally covered. :)
  • Alice StrongAlice Strong Member (+) Posts: 1
    Hello Augie, we are coming to Skala Panagia next week. We are thinking about getting a hire car or quad to visit some of the other parts of the island we didn't get to last year (yes, we're back, just like everyone said we would be!) Do I need to book in advance before we travel or can I sort this when we arrive? Is there discounts for booking online? Many thanks, Alice