Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 78

Home Go-Thassos Comments

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• GoThassosGoThassos Administrator Posts: 128
    edited November 2013
    Hi Ellie,
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We didn't realize the camera has stopped zooming in to the water sports section of the beach (where the sculpture is located). We'll try to get that back. :)
  • derekderek Member (+) Posts: 66
    go thassos team,
    camera also does not zoomin on cavo doro section ,,between sport section and golden sands..many thanks..
  • Nikos KonsoulasNikos Konsoulas Member (+) Posts: 45
    monarch flights now on here for august from Manchester to kavala based on 4 people 2ad and 2 kids
    Flying out
    12 Aug 14
    dep 07:10 Manchester (MAN)
    arr 14:40 Kavala (KVA)
    Small Planet P7357

Flying back
    26 Aug 14
    dep 15:30 Kavala (KVA)
    arr 17:00 Manchester (MAN)
    Small Planet P7358

- Cosmos Flights prices are transparent! Prices now include all those non-optional extras like Fuel Supplements & APD. No Debit Card Charges - 2.5% on Credit Card Payments.
    - Prices are not guaranteed until booking is confirmed
    - All times are local
    - In the interests of protecting against fraudulent use of debit and credit cards the name of the card holder must be the same as a travelling passenger.

Your outbound flight operates via Skiathos.
    And this from gatwick

Flying out
    Flying back
    12 Aug 14
    dep 09:10 London Gatwick (LGW)
    arr 16:30 Kavala (KVA)
    Monarch Airlines Limited MON5394

26 Aug 14
    dep 17:20 Kavala (KVA)
    arr 18:50 London Gatwick (LGW)
    Monarch Airlines Limited MON5395

- Cosmos Flights prices are transparent! Prices now include all those non-optional extras like Fuel Supplements & APD. No Debit Card Charges - 2.5% on Credit Card Payments.
    - Prices are not guaranteed until booking is confirmed
    - All times are local
    - In the interests of protecting against fraudulent use of debit and credit cards the name of the card holder must be the same as a travelling passenger.

Your outbound flight operates via Skiathos.
    so skiathos is confirmed and flights are live!!!!!!!! lets hope the competion will bring prices out!!!!!
    good evening to every one
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    hmm I won't be using Small Planet Airlines again
  • ToneTone Member (+) Posts: 65
    Hi all again. First thing I would like to do is thank the Go Thassos team for giving us the wonderful web cam experience - as I have said Thassos ( particularly Golden Beach and Scala Potamia ) is like a second home to us and it always gives us a boost to start the day looking in on the beach there in all seasons. We shall of course be going again next year and can't wait to sample the delights of Korali ,Krambusa and Green Sea tavernas again :)
    For many years we stayed at Suzies till Thomson dropped them ( very unfairly ) - the last couple of years we have stayed at Smaragdi ( a perfect choice if you don't mind the hill ) and Kostas and Katerina really look after you. We are torn a bit now because Cosmos are offering Suzies - the rooms and views are better at Smaragdi but the location of Suzies is ideal for us.
    We live on the Isle of Wight ( similar in size to Thassos ) so it's always been a bit of a hassle to get to Gatwick but so so worth it. Thanks again to the Team.
    edited November 2013
    Hi derek,
    I know which view you're talking about and I wish we could still have the webcam show that part of the beach, but we discontinued zooming there because we have a limited number of stops that we can program the camera to make. We chose to discontinue that particular stop because it is very similar to the one of the water sports section of the beach. If we are able to program more stops in the future we will definitely bring that one back!

Hi Tone,
    You're very welcome. :) Just as you put it: it's so so worth it.
  • Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    Hi Tone we also live on the IOW and have been traveling to Thassos for many years. We used to stay in the Sussie . Now we travel independently via Thessaloniki all booked for next June.
    Hi Wendy. It really is a small world ! and we always go in late June/early July. We've often thought about going via Easyjet but the cost of hiring a car from Thessaloniki and all the hassle and cost of an extra night near the airport to get back to Gatwick negates the cheaper flights, Like you we have been going for well over 10 years and have made many friends with the lovely people there. How do you get from the airport ? Taxi / Car hire / bus ? One of our friends said there was someone in Scala Potamia who may be prepared to act as a taxi courier but we never found out who this might be.
    Hi Tone it works out cheaper than Thomsons. We travel up to Gatwick with Southern Trains if you book inadvance it's really cheap. We stay in the Travel Lodge for£20. The Hire car cost £125 for ten days+insurance, once out of Thessaloniki the motorway is a piece of cake, it's a straight run to Kaval.
    We used the train last year from Portsmouth - we have a Network card so it's cheap as well as convenient and like you we stay in Gatwick Central Travelodge. Thats very cheap for a car hire - who do you use ? We have looked in to this but have heard horror stories of cost and hire companies demanding hundreds of pounds as a deposit.
  • SueandMacSueandMac Member (+) Posts: 99
    We've always hired cars from Potos- www.rentacarpotos.gr
    Always efficient and flexible. One year we had to leave the car on Thassos instead of driving it back to Thesolonika--No problem!
    Hi Tone, we use Argus or Carentals.co.uk. We found Potos very unhelpful. Good Luck
    Thanks Wendy and Sue and Mac. If we do decide to go with Easyjet we will try all three for quotes. It's a hard choice o make - a package deal with Thomson or Cosmos is the most stress free option but it's so tempting to go independent to one of the many apartments available.
  • Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
    Tone,
    We did it independently this year for the first time, like you we couldn't decide whether to stick with tour operators or do it ourselves,so glad we went independently, as it was so easy. I took my sat nav, which has Europe on it,put in Kerimoti , and just followed .when we got to the Kavala airport turn off we recognised the transfer route,so didn't need the sat nav again.
    All I would say is try it,you will not regret it.
    We have already booked our flights for next year,got in early and paid less than last year, plus we are going a week later next year. :-)
  • Sandra MilesSandra Miles Member (+) Posts: 51
    We fly Thomsons from Birmingham (we live in East Midlands). Jump in a taxi outside the airport to the ferry port. On the ferry. Off the other side, straight in a taxi to our apartment. Stress free and so much quicker than the package with Thomsons.
    what sort of price do you get from Thomson's as flight only Sandra, as some tell me they want as much for the fight as the cost of the package
    sorry mean flight not fight lol
    Hi Ellie and Derek,
    The missing camera view you both requested is back... enjoy!
  • juliebjulieb Member (+) Posts: 26
    A beautiful clear morning. What I wouldn't give to be walking along the beach. Can't wait to be back. Thank you Go Thassos team for keeping us going through the winter months back here in the UK!
  • Sandra MilesSandra Miles Member (+) Posts: 51
    Delboy, the flight was £978 for two of us return. Not cheap I know but it gets us to where we want to be with no hassles. We pay our host approx £400 for our room on the beach. Its our perfect holiday. We could pay less for the flight and fly easyjet from Gatwick but a return taxi is £220 and then the flight lands in Thessalonika which is not nearly as convenient as Kavala. :)
    Hi Sandra
    Thanks for that, yes there doesn't seem to be a cheaper way round it with Thomson's commanding the fares at the moment. I did chat to another couple that did it that way and they found having to carry their bags on to the ferry and up the stairs in the heat a pain.
  • derekderek Member (+) Posts: 66
    hi dell boy;;
    just as a matter of interest,,,have just paid £964 for two weeks early june at smaragdi. .. complete package..it seems it could be cheaper this way,, compared to flight to salonika, hire car or taxi and then hotel cost and hassle free..,,,regards derek
    Hi Derek
    The price obviously depends on what time you go and what apartments are picked, we are sorted for the end of June for two weeks at just over £1200. It's interesting to hear all the comments from different travellers who go there.

From what I have gathered, Thomson's dont pay the hotellers a lot and I have heard that some of the Thomson room rates are only 15 euros a night and they don't increase in value in term time either.

A lot of regulars would like the hotels to have a lot more of the share and do it independantly.

However, unless you travel to Thessaloniki, the flights only from Thomson are costly and you could end up paying more by the time taxi's and accommodation are added, as you will not get the Thomson room rate.

Now if you travel to Thessaloniki where the flights are cheaper, one then has to hire a car for 2 weeks, I heard around £250, plus the ferry charges across and petrol. So although you have a car you are again approaching similar figures unless you are going as a foursome.

Unfortunately, I'm not a person that car drives abroad but always interested in how things pan out for people doing it different ways, are my thoughts on the above wrong