Time for visiting Thassoss

Home General

Time for visiting Thassoss

nuritnurit Member Posts: 1
Is the first 2 weeks of September is too late for travelling to the island? Will it be possible to go to the sea? Also if some can recommend of places to stay, very close to the beach, it would be great.
Which beach is the best? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    I think first two weeks in September will be fine. My only comment would be that I have read that sometimes wasps may be prevalent at that time. Weather usually falls apart by October on the webcam here.

Staying close by to a beach would need info as to what your budget you have on the accommodation or package.

For me Golden Beach is a great beach, as I have not seen all of Thassos, people on here may know of others but from what I have seen so far different beaches have not yet matched it
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    We travelled in September and didn’t have half as much trouble with wasps as we did the year before.
    Beach depends on personal preference, del likes golden beach which is I’m told is popular. We prefer the opposite side of the island
    yes it is like Leanne says one year may be different from another when we first looked at Thassos a number of years ago Mrs Db was reading reports of large number of dead wasps in the sea. Other times nothing mentioned.
    On the beaches I can only tell you around the Golden beach areas and Thassos Town. The webcam is Golden Beach of course, having been there we have been happy not to change resorts.
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited August 2019
    Hi Nurit,

The beginning of September is a personal favorite because the big July/August crowds are gone.

The sea is warmer and the beaches have less people on them so you can enjoy some of the best spots more easilly.

The sun is more gentle so you can lay on the beach without burning your skin quickly. I still recommend using sunblock to protect your skin.

The overall experience at restaurants and shops is better because the staff can dedicate more time and attention to you since it's less busy.

The best beach is the one you like the most :) There are so many and I would recommend exploring the island and visiting as many as you can.

Pssst... my personal favorite is Vathi Beach.

Vathi beach appears in my 2014 trip report in the tourist review section on here if it is any help, there are just a few spots to squeeze a car in but I do point it out. Probably best with a car from the Marble beach end
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    I think emerald beach is my fave :smiley: