spanner in the works ... Getting to the island

Home Traveling to Thassos

spanner in the works ... Getting to the island

So Thomas Cook are no longer covering thassos, and so far haven't spotted anything on TUI that i really fancy. I have emailed the hotel we like to stay at to see if they will be starting to take their own bookings but now i have the problem of getting there! currently only TUI fly to Kavala which is fine IF the hotel take from Sundays (previous they have only taken Thomas cook bookings whose flights have always been Fridays) Also we have to assume that TUI will have seats when we book.
So if i have to fly to Thessaloniki what are my options on getting to the island? I really hope there's a stress free option because the idea of not returning is unthinkable!

Comments

• DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    edited June 2019
    Hi Leanne,

Just checked and Thomas Cook are still covering Thassos, they might not be using their own planes but they usually wet sail airlines under their own flag.
    From past experience of reading reviews TUI often charge as much for their flights as their packages.
    The Journey from Thessaloniki is around 2.5 hours in a car. Others have used that route and hired a car.
    I think there is a bus but probably not that frequent as little is talked about using that option.
    If your hotel is no longer using TC then I am sure they will most accommodating to you.
    I would check the cost of the flights before committing a booking
    which resort are you looking at Leanne, as I know of one hotel that I was happy with in GB
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    I spoke to Thomas Cook this morning and they aren't doing it after this year, they finish is September. I'm just doing some research and since I know the costings already from Kavala and feel comfortable doing that without the need for a tour operator we are going to work around the flights rather than the hotel.

Delboy I knew you'd have an answer for me!! Where you of to this year?
    The med in Skala Rachoni, You've stayed at Golden beach side? We like Rachoni as it's a bit quieter but still has some great tavernas. Although we have considered giving Golden beach a try.
    GB Leanne lol

Thomas Cook are obviously reigning in their resorts then after this year's financial problems.
    Yeah that was my conclusion as well. It's funny because one of the reps hinted about it last year but I didn't give it any thought at the time.

another trip report? The island just drags us back! we are of to Zakinthos on Monday, I just know I will spend the time comparing the two :smiley:
    Oh have a good trip not been there to comment.

Yes will do another report, so you might live it again through photos lol
    I will look forward to it!
    I believe the bus takes over 5 hours and does not go direct to Keramoti so not really a good option
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    edited June 2019
    Delboy's right! It's an option but not a good one. You'd need to take a bus from the airport to Thessaloniki's bus station. Then from the bus station to Kavala. Then from Kavala to Chrisoupoli. Then from Chrisoupoli to Keramoti. It's a long and tiring journey I would only suggest if you're on a tight budget. :)

Renting a car or hiring a taxi is the most straight-forward approach. I could recommend renting a car from Potos Car Rentals (they are a Thassos-based company with a branch at the airport in Thessaloniki). Get a 5% discount with promo code "gopotos" on their website till 30/06/2019.

https://www.rentacarpotos.gr/

For hiring a taxi, I suggest:
  • Hamish22Hamish22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Augie.
    As noted it is a huge disappointment re Thomas Cook.
    Are you aware of any lobbying to Thomas Cook to review their decision?
    Hi Hamish,

The state that TC are in will be a matter of survival and what is the higher profitable end of the market to them. I would not use them without Atol protection and even then only by credit card as rule 75 gives you some protection if the worse was to happen.
    Huge disappointment indeed, Hamish! The locals are sad this is happening but don't know what to do about it, if anything can be done at all.

On a positive note, the newly elected mayor will get into office at the end of this year and he pledged to focus on tourism development which includes an effort to increase the direct flights to Kavala from the UK and other western European destinations. I have my fingers crossed because the lack of flights to Kavala is a massive stumbling block.

You can fly to Kavala from the UK via Athens daily but the cost is quite high, unfortunately.
    Once Thomas Cook stop theirs then the only direct flight from manchester is TUI ... i imagine seats on those are going to be like Hen's teeth.

Augie i would be interested in keeping up with news on the above mentioned tourism pledge.

I must admit the messing with flying into Thessaloniki puts me off and would probably only come if we can get in via Kavala … Also haven't Kavala just had a huge upgrade? Thank you for all that info Augie, you have confirmed that I really don't want to!! LOL

I emailed the hotel we have been going to and they have said they are in talks with a few places and get back in touch in October. They were once a TUI hotel so I'm hoping to make life easier they return to TUI but who knows!!
    Having just spent 3 weeks in Africa and now going to Zante I won't make it over this year but now I'm worried I won't ever get back!!!!

I agree with Delboys comments, due to the trouble TC are in right now (and I have a holiday booked for next march with them) I understand why they are pulling some of their destinations in the hope of survival
  • JohnnyQJohnnyQ Member (+) Posts: 8
    It’s looking like the unthinkable no return to Thassos next summer, Tui did have some competition with TC and with no other competitor airline the flight prices are going to be extortionate. ☹️
    It's just been announced that a Chinese consortium are advanced in negotiations in buying into Thomas Cook and perhaps, if it goes ahead there may be some reconsideration to a number of package holidays that seem to have been cancelled for next year but we will have to wait and see.
    Johnny I think you make a good point, I have just been looking at TUI and next years prices are thought the roof. I am currently waiting to hear who/how our favourite hotel are using for booking. Failing that I think we will put it together ourselves, cheaper yes but we've always liked the added security that package offers. Also the only flight we can get is with TUI so that's not going to come cheap.

Delboy I hope you're right about reconsideration, however I am told that this was in the works earlier and was always going to happen after we left the EU … I guess we will never really know the truth
    Hi Leane,

Obviously with TC in their troubles were pulling out of places but who knows what the current partners are considering but don't hold your breath
  • Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    So sad to ear all your comments re; Thomas Cook, not sure how I'm going to get there next year.
    somebody mentioned flights to Athens and then to Kavala airport is that a cost option Leanne ? I can't remember if that was discussed it the past
    edited August 2019
    During the winter you can find good deals on flights between Kavala and Athens (eg. 120 euros for a round-trip Flex ticket). During the summer these deals are rare because of higher demand but it still might be worth looking into!

https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/book-a-flight/

Worth noting: Aegean Airlines offers two types of tickets, "Go Light" and "Flex". Go Light is cheapest but allows for just 1 carry-on bag up to 8Kg. Flex allows 1 carry-on plus 1 luggage 23Kg.
    edited August 2019
    Hi Augie,

I sort of recall it being mentioned as expensive on here before. I am not good at working out flight costs and baggage etc but I don't expect there will be much difference between that TUI price Leanne quoted and the combined two flights

And the basic bag is no good for me my cameras weigh that lol
    Hi Delboy,

Your memory serves you well, my friend! :) We did discuss flights between ATH and KVA and it was mentioned to be generally expensive during the Summer season. It wasn't, and still isn't, the cheapest option... but it's still an option nonetheless.

Also worth noting: Aegean Airlines is part of the Star Alliance and uses the Miles+Bonus program. If you're a member and have accumulated miles, this could help bring the price down or give you a free flight, perhaps?
    Afternoon from a very soggy Manchester ... i hope you're enjoying the sun :( So i priced flights, buses etc and by the time you add luggage etc etc it's not much different than paying the TUI price. I think the answer is book with TUI and just go to a different hotel. Shame because we love the med. Also i reckon the flights from the UK are stopping us being able to use other hotels that don't use a tour operator and they tend to be the better ones. I honestly don't think i can be bothered with hassle of a two flights, buses etc etc it doesn't really shout start of a relaxing holiday does it lol
    not sure if you have got the news but Thomas Cook have gone into administration this morning.
    Not sure if hoteliers will get paid as I believe they get paid at the end of the season.