Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 123

Home Go-Thassos Comments

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Coling, we've been experiencing the opposite - it's been one of the coldest winters ever recorded in Thassos! Bring your skiis and let's climb Ipsario. ;)
  • ToneTone Member (+) Posts: 65
    Hi Augie . Any chance of resurrecting the "Beach Sweep" now the season is nearing - so much to see like the progress made on the new builds along the front - the umbrellas that will soon be sprouting along the beach - so much to see :) We are coming again in July ( for 20th time !! ) Thanks again for all you are doing - the quality of the web cam image is also so much better.
    edited April 2019
    Hey Tone! Coming to Thassos for the 20th time this year?! You're a true veteran! :)

As a way to honor our dear veterans, we activated the beach sweep for 3 times a day:

1. Morning Beach Sweep @ 07:35
    2. Afternoon beach sweep @ 12:35
    3. Evening beach sweep @ 19:35

Thassos Time (GMT+3)

Congrats on your 20th visit to Thassos this year! That's impressive! :wink:
  • EllieEllie Member (+) Posts: 31
    Hooray! Thank you for bringing back the beach sweep ... and loving the extra views! Summer is coming :-) It will be our 11th visit in August. Not quite such a veteran as Tone, but we're working on it!!
    You're welcome, Ellie. :) You're on your way to becoming a super Veteran like Tone! We'll need to create a Hall of Fame soon!
  • John_the_walkerJohn_the_walker Member Posts: 1
    Can you sign me up for the hall of fame please? :-) This year will be my 40th & 41st visits
  • juliebjulieb Member (+) Posts: 26
    John_the_walker wow! Makes us complete novices-will be our 16th visit in June! 😎
  • FranzFranz Member (+) Posts: 22
    Congratulations John, see you on Thassos👍
    Oh no ... just as places are starting to put chairs out, and open up for the season, the camera goes off line!!
    Hi Ellie,

You won't believe me at first, but this is actually a good thing! I'll tell you why:

In 2019, faster internet speeds have come to Thassos and, last week, we completed the application to upgrade the webcam's dedicated internet line. It looks like they are in the process of upgrading it today. Yay!

Slow internet speed is why the camera sometimes keeps buffering. It also prevents us from streaming the Live feed in High Definition (because the connection isn't fast enough to support it)... even though the camera is HD. After the upgrade, we hope the internet connection will be fast enough to stream HD video therefore offering even clearer views of Golden Beach! We're also supposed to see less buffering with a faster connection. *fingers crossed*
    Hi Augie,

In that case ... hooray!! All is forgiven! We look forward to seeing our favourite beach faster, bigger, clearer, and all ready for summer! You do a grand job ... thank you :-)
    edited April 2019
    Hi Ellie and everyone :)

The webcam's internet connection was upgraded on Saturday and the upload speed nearly doubled as a result. Hooray!

However, it's still too slow for us to reliably stream in Full HD (1080p). So we're keeping it at HD (720p) for now.

We requested the internet provider to increase the speed even more if it's possible, but it seems unlikely because the webcam's location is quite far from the internet provider's utility box, and distance matters.

We'll keep you posted as we find out more. In the meantime, please let us know if you see a difference. Thanks everyone and have a great day!
  • hollyglashollyglas Member (+) Posts: 3
    Hi Augie,

From here in Waterloo, Iowa it is a great view. A little buffering but not as much as before. Thank you so much for the views! You are one of the best nephews EVER!
    Awww, thanks Aunty! :)

I'm glad you enjoy the webcam views but when are you coming to see Thassos with your very own eyes? It looks great on camera but spectacular in real life!
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    Happy Easter to everyone
  • colingcoling Member Posts: 7
    It's nice to see the sun beds going out again along the beach together with all the other ativities that are happening - will soon be there - four weeks to go
  • Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    Web cam looks really good. Will be on our special island in 4 wks
  • melinda85melinda85 Member Posts: 1
    is the 3rd time when I return to thassos. I'll see you on July 25th
    edited May 2019
    Hi everyone! :)

I'm sorry for the blurry video during the zoomed-in beach sweep. It's been like this for about a week now, and we're baffled as to why the camera doesn't focus correctly while in motion because it was working before.

We already reached out to the camera manufacturer's technical support last Thursday. They are reviewing the case and will get back to us (hopefully) with a solution.

Some people have written to us, asking if it's blurry because it's showing a nudist beach. For those who are wondering the same thing... nope, it's just a technical problem. But if you're looking for a nudist beach on Thassos, check out the northern end of Paradise Beach! :wink:
  • Wendy FlemingWendy Fleming Member (+) Posts: 75
    It looks very quiet at the moment, hope there is a few more people next weekend when we arrive.
  • cgukcguk Member Posts: 13
    That's just how we like it Wendy - we shall be there on Sunday - weather forecast looking very good
  • chezmchezm Member Posts: 1
    7.03pm and two people stood on the jetty waving hello at the camera... Love it.
  • broderickbroderick Member (+) Posts: 33
    I' ll be there in a few weeks looking forward to greek Amstel/ However just checking for next year. 2020. There are no holidays currently with flights from Birmingham. Does anyone know if TUI are cancelling the flights from Birmingham for 2020..
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi broderick
    I think Amstel maybe Dutch.
    TUI are the only ones that can answer that question. I know TUI have five of the new MAX 8 planes which have been grounded worldwide.
    This year those planes have had to be swopped and they seem to have struggled with other companies to get replacement airlines to wet sail at last minute.
    People have been told of seat changes and different airlines being used. I guess at this early stage TUI are waiting to see what to do next year.
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    Mythos is the Greek beer 🍺 they drink there
    Looking forward to 1st August when we go to Thassos for 2 weeks