Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos - Page 121

Home Go-Thassos Comments

Live Webcam at Golden Beach, Thassos

Comments

• diana.muscaludiana.muscalu Member (+) Posts: 6
    Hi Augie and team. The web cam is no longer moving right.. left?..... but I love we have the sound of the island. Cheers!
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Diana and Derek,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Glad you're enjoying the live sounds from Thassos!

As you've noticed, the camera is still experiencing technical difficulties which we've been trying to sort with the help of Earthcam's tech support, since they are our official service provider and partner.

After making an enormous effort to fix the camera's software remotely time and time again, Earthcam has concluded that the camera's hardware is faulty and we'll need to upgrade to a new camera system to solve the issue. No firm date is set but I'd like you to know that's the direction we are headed in. Until that happens, we hope the live sounds help make up for the lack of camera movement... even if just a little! :)
  • SueandMacSueandMac Member (+) Posts: 99
    WOW Mac nearly choked on his toast and marmalade Thanks Augie and Co One happy husband!
  • SirPJSirPJ Member (+) Posts: 10
    Sound.....awesome! Thanks, Augie. Hi to your family!
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    I see you have the camera back working
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Who broke the camera? 🙈🙈🤔🤔 lol
    edited August 2018
    Leanne, this is the guy, right here!

This is Sebastian. He's one of our awesome team members who's currently working on upgrading the camera. He loves pizza. Say hi! :)
    Hey Sebastian .. I hope they let you down soon! You will deserve your pizza sitting up there all day!!
  • frenchiefrenchie Member Posts: 21
    Wow, Sebastian - looks very hot up there.... take care!!
  • dodododo Member Posts: 13
    I see Sebastian has not yet managed to fix the IP camera
    I think you do not deserve his pizza because he sitting up there all day for nothing!! B)
    edited September 2018
    Ssshhhhh Dodo, if we threaten to take away Sebastian's pizza he might decide to go on strike, and then we'll be up the creek without a paddle! (Let's try this instead):

Yo, Sebastian! We just ordered TWO pizzas and they're on the way... you better finish the work with the webcam and come down to eat before they get cold! ;)
    And do you think it works faster if we tell him we've already ordered pizza?
  • SebastianSebastian Administrator Posts: 18
    Two pizzas weren't enough, plus they never came... sorry Augie. Andy decided that 4 pizzas would be a much better incentive :D

Now that I've had my pizzas, my webcam strike is over and I've decided to finally make the webcam accessible again :smiley:

Our apologies for the extended downtime of the webcam. The old camera system began to show its age and needed to be replaced. We purchased a much better camera system allowing us to show you all much better views of Golden Beach... including people at the peak of Mt. Ipsario :smile:

The camera is programmed to cycle throughout many different views of Golden Beach.

Between the hours of 7am and 8pm Thassos time, the camera has the following schedule:
    • **:00 - **:05 ----> The camera will stop and zoom in at the pier area allowing visitors to phone home and say hi to friends and family.
    • **:05 - **:35 ----> The camera will cycle through many different areas of Golden Beach giving you an overview of the area.
    • **:35 - **:59 ----> The camera will provide a zoomed in beach tour starting from the far end of Skala Potamia all the way to the end of Skala Panagia. This tour will show you the entire stretch of beach. It takes 25 minutes to complete.
    There are a few extra features which aren't finished yet, so if you notice the camera acting strangely or offline, you've probably caught us in the middle of an update.

We hope you enjoy the views!
    edited September 2018
    Bravo, Sebastian, for putting the webcam back online!

Special thanks goes to Andy & Shaz for taking the initiative and sponsoring all 4 pizzas when they saw that something urgently needed to be done to get Seabass motivated! You guys rock!

I'd like to add to Seb's notes below:

The new camera is capable of streaming up to HD 1080p (which looks super awesome!). However, the internet connection at the property is way too slow to support such a high definition upload. That's why the video looks blurry and/or grainy at times when you watch it. We're in the process of getting a new internet line at the hotel which will be totally dedicated to the camera. We're hoping that this will improve the video quality by a lot (fingers crossed!).

Your feedback is always welcome everyone, and thank you for being really patient while we do our best! :)
  • hollyglashollyglas Member (+) Posts: 3
    Beautiful!
    Ooo well done Sebastian! Went up Mt ipsario in July ... what a view!!
    Sebastian was worth the 4 pizza. B)
    Yes, the video camera tour is 5-star. Probably with a better internet the images will be much clearer.
    I have a question. On site:" http://www.earthcam.com/greece/thassos/?cam=thassos_mp " why does the camera no longer work? it write "this camera is temporarily unavailable." ?
  • FrankandJoelleFrankandJoelle Member Posts: 2
    Missed Golden Beach this year :( will be back next year :)
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    EASYJET SUMMER 2019 FLIGHT ON SALE TODAY. JUST BOOKED FOR 4 PEOPLE 2 WEEKS IN AUGUST £1062. FLYING FROM GATWICK TO THESSALONIKI. IF YOU DONT MIND GOING INDEPENDENT ITS A MUCH CHEAPER WAY TO GO TO THASSOS.
  • terryterry Member (+) Posts: 14
    Lovely to have the new webcam and know they have worked hard to get back up and running .But having been going to thassos for 15 years and golden beach in particular
    It seems a shame that the beautiful panoramic view of the mountains is missing
    And the beach sweep is a little (boring) sorry.It would I think be good to brake off from the beach at times to the mountains.
    Sorry to go on but I think the mountain view is probably the best in the world
  • ToneTone Member (+) Posts: 65
    Absolutely love the new webcam - so much clearer and love the beach sweep particularly - great to see all the places we visit each year along the strip - can almost recognise individuals such as donut man walking along the beach - we've been going 20 years and never tire of this beautiful place :):) roll on next year !
  • tonitoni Member (+) Posts: 107
    looking very rough and windy there today
  • bungalow50bungalow50 Member Posts: 10
    Agree with Terry that the beach sweep is boring and not enough views of the mountains, much prefer the coverage by the old webcam, although the clarity of the pictures is brilliant. We have been holidaying in Golden beach for many years and can't wait to go back, all being well that will be next May/June.
  • EllieEllie Member (+) Posts: 31
    We absolutely love the beach sweep, even though the season has finished! I "walk" it virtually every morning before I go to work. It keeps us going through the long winter, until we can make our annual trip to Golden Beach. I agree with the others that the mountain view is gorgeous ... also love the close up of the mountain top. Keep up the good work!
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for your feedback, Ellie, bungalow50, Tone, and terry. It's all very insightful, please keep it coming!

Your comments about the beach sweep were very helpful. Honestly, we thought the beach sweep would be more popular than it's turning out to be. :) So today we adjusted the webcam thanks to the overwhelming feedback we received. We de-activated the beach sweep (it used to run hourly) and we replaced it with more views of the mountains and surrounding area.

In Spring, when life returns to beautiful Golden Beach, we could bring back the beach sweep if you all would like us to, and instead of every hour we could make it, say, 3 times per day at specific times. So those who want to could enjoy the 25 minute beach sweep and dream of walking along the sandy shore. ;)

Ellie, thank you so much for your kind support!