Forest roads closed due to fire risk

Home General

Forest roads closed due to fire risk

DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
Just read that authorities have closed the road to Marble beach and other forest roads due to a high risk of fires.

http://www.kavalanews.gr/7916-closed-road-saliara-marble-beach-vathy-all-forest-road-thassos-high-risk-fire.html

Comments

• Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Thanks DB, I think my holiday in a couple of weeks is going to be a bit different to when we were there in June/July ... really hope all is ok 🙈
  • pixeliarmuspixeliarmus Member Posts: 4
    Are they still closed? We will be there on August 20th
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    yes still closed according to the Kavala News

http://www.kavalanews.gr/
    So it isn't possible to go to Golden Beach or Thassos island at all? Or just Marble beach ?
    normal roads on Thassos would be ok but not forest roads( I think the one down to Marble beach is affected)
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    edited August 2018
    Delboy is correct! The articles above are only talking about the dirt roads that go to Marble Beaches (Saliara & Porto Vathi) as well as Vathi Beach.

FYI on Friday, 17 August, I used the dirt roads to go to Vathi Beach - the roads were open.

The Fire Department of Thassos assesses the weather conditions on the island and, if they deem there's a high fire risk, they close these dirt roads.

After the tragedy in Athens this summer, Greek authorities are stepping up efforts to prevent fires around the country. This is one method they are using.

No worries though, there are pleeeenty of other beaches you can visit around Thassos if and when this happens while you're here :)
    Augie, from what I can tell the weather is going to start cooling next week, is this right? We arrive Friday after next and hoping for sun but maybe slightly cooler than the 34o the app says you’re getting right now
    Yes we followed the news and are deeply sorry about the fires in Athens. I'm glad they are taking it seriously. Thanks for the info guys, hope we will have great time this week :)
    Leanne, it's been very hot over the last 2 weeks (averaging around 35 celsius) but it's been very dry which makes the heat a lot more bearable. For a couple of weeks in July, we had somewhat of a tropical climate - very hot and very humid which is harder to bear.

I usually don't believe weather forecasts more than 5 days into the future so I can't confirm or deny what you see for next week. What I do see is the dry heat will be sticking around till Saturday, at least. After that, well, it's anybody's guess. ;)
    Well in that case can you order us some nice sun from 31st till the 7th :wink: Muchly grateful :smiley:
    Did you go to the Honey festival? I would've liked to have been there for that
    Right away! I just expedited your order of sunshine for those dates. ;)

I didn't make it to the Honey Festival this year, unfortunately.

However, I did make it to the Pontiac Folk Dance Festival in Limenas this past Saturday night, which takes place once every mid-August. It was a lot of fun!
    UPDATE: On 22/08/2018, some popular dirt roads through forestland will be closed because of elevated fire risk.
    Fingers crossed the precautions all work
    UPDATE: On 23/08/2018, the dirt roads going to the Marble Beaches (Saliara & Porto Vathi), as well as to Vathi Beach, will be closed due to an elevated risk of fire.
    Thanks for the update Augie, have given people the message and mentioned your website on TA
    UPDATE: On 24/08/2018, the dirt roads going to the Marble Beaches (Saliara & Porto Vathi), as well as to Vathi Beach, will be closed due to an elevated risk of fire. Additionally, organized Jeep Safaris in the mountains will be forbidden in order to reduce the chances of an accidental fire started by a human. Please do not attempt to go into the mountains on your own.

Finally, I've been asked to inform our visitors that Sky Lanterns are strictly forbidden and their release carries serious penalties. Please do not release any Sky Lanterns into the air during your stay on Thassos. Help us protect the island's forests from preventable fires. Thank you! :)
    Augie please don’t tell me someone ACTUALLY has tried to do a sky lantern? I really dislike these stupid things not only for the fire risk but also the risk to wildlife ...
    thanks for the road updates, we are actually sat discussing where we won’t be able to go next week. How likely is it that we will be able to go to giola?
    Thanks Augie,

I have passed that message on as quite important and I personally would not walk the firebreaks in this situation
    edited August 2018
    Thank you, Delboy!

Unfortunately yes, Leanne. I've seen Sky Lanterns floating in the distance on several occasions. It looks very cute and romantic, but the risk outweighs its cuteness.

The road to Giola is not affected by the restrictions so it's 100% likely you will be able to go there! :)

I really thought people were waking up to the reality of those ridiculous sky lanterns ... seems I was wrong.
    I’m sat here eating my toast before I go out in the pouring rain thinking that this time next week we will be preparing to land in Kavala 😀😀 into nice hot sunshine, but I guess my pleasure is a little apprehensive for people living over there ☹️☹️
  • ellenaellena Member Posts: 2
    Hello, the roads are open. We were there today but it was really crowded.
  • lajos75lajos75 Member Posts: 1
    Augie, what about the Marble beach for tomorrow, Aug 25th? Are the roads still closed? Thx
  • ellenaellena Member Posts: 2
    http://www.go-thassos.gr/useful-contact-information . you can call at one of the police numbers you find in the link and ask if the roads are open.
    Thank you for informing us about the road being open yesterday, Ellena! I was notified by the fire station on the day before that it would be closed, but perhaps the conditions changed and so they changed their decision.

Lajos, please follow Ellena's advice and call the police station or the fire station for the latest accurate information. I believe the roads are open today because I was not informed of any closures. Have fun, where ever you go today! :)
    Hey Augie, hows the weather/ risk/ roads situation going? We land at 11.25am so my order or sunshine should be there 😂😂