How can I get to Thassos from Kavala airport?

Home Traveling to Thassos

How can I get to Thassos from Kavala airport?

Is there transport from the airport to Keramoti? From there with the ferry I guess I saw some post with timetables, and which beach do you recommend to visit in Thassos? I only have a few days. thanks!

Comments

• DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Most people not using a package holiday get a Taxi said be to around 20€s last time I heard. Thassos Town where the ferry arrives has beaches but not very big ones. We prefer Golden Beach where this site has a webcam overlooking it. Again another cab is around the 20€ mark but you can catch a bus there as bus depot is opposite the ferry terminal There are quieter places but it depends on what you want from you break.
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Where delboy loves the bigger, livelier golden beach, I prefer the quieter skala rachoni ... €18 euros in a taxi from Thassos but as del mentioned the bus station is right across the road and they are very helpful, the driver will tell you where he’s stopping so you don’t miss your stop, the bus is €1.80 one way.
    As del said it really does depend on what you want from you break
  • travelchictravelchic Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your answers! so there is public transport in the island to Skala rachoni, also to Golden beach? I will have a look at skala rachoni...have seen so many beaches already...I am confused :D The beach in Thassos does not look very nice in the photos, best is to go somewhere else right? Any recommendation on a car rental company in Thassos? I might consider the option, to see many places as possible if it´s not super expensive.
    And from the airport no public transport to Keramoti port then. I will check the ferry times. Any advice in accomodation in any of these beaches..? many thanks guys
    Hi travelchic,

Yes there is a bus to Golden Beach from Thassos Town. You can consider Thassos Town as having the hub for buses going all places.
    Many people like Thassos Town but just does not do it for us but everyone is different so could not say if it is for you or for any place for that matter.
    For the time of the year June / early July we found Golden Beach Skala Panagia end just right for us. It had enough restaurants to keep us going for two weeks and we could pop into Skala Potamia which has about another 50 taverna's in it.
    Late July / August it will be packed.
    No public transport from the airport to Keramoti as far as I am aware, people use taxi's.
    Leanne will help you with Skala Rachoni as not visited it as reading up on it initially there did not seem to be many taverna's there for our holiday but may be wrong.
    I don't drive abroad so can't give you any recommendations.
    Finally, if you were going late June / early July I did trip reports on here of Golden Beach and the surrounding area. The 2014 had a visit to Thassos Town by bus on one of the day. Also where we stayed but again that is subjective as people like different accommodations
  • pixeliarmuspixeliarmus Member Posts: 4
    When will you go to Thassos? The roads are closed according to the news people shared here. We were planning visiting Golden beach on monday
    edited August 2018
    you are getting confused with forest roads these are not the normal tarmac roads in Thassos being used. The one to drive a car down to Marble beach is considered a forest road covered with trees
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    Hi Pixeliarmus :)

The asphalt roads on Thassos have always been open and were never closed this summer. Only a few of the dirt roads that go through forestland have been closed on certain days as a precaution to prevent a fire, specifically on days when we had very high winds.

On Friday I went to Vathi Beach and the dirt roads were open all day (I went and left without a hitch). So it's not a continuous road closure... in fact, it mainly depends on weather conditions and the fire risk assessments by the Thassos Fire Department.

Καλό απόγευμα

I discovered this year there are a lot more tavernas up and down Skala rachoni than I reaslised last year, and will be going to some of the hidden ones when We go back (13 sleeps) ... we do have a favourite though called Gekas. We did hire a car but though the hotel so can’t really give too much advice on best places to use although I think Augie had a suggestion a while back. I did notice a few signs saying rooms to rent but I remember last year when we went end of July the rep mentioned ther were no rooms on the island so I’m guessing silly season you would need to book and not just arrive. We went thought Thomas Cook (we can only book the hotel we love though them) but I’ve also looked though this site and there are some lovely places.
    Thing is no matter where you stay on the island you will enjoy, it’s all beautiful and everyone is friendly

Augie thanks for the info on the roads, I been trying to keep up with news but its hard. I
    The weather is so far saying it’s starting to cool down next week
    Oh no! starting to cool down?? I am going on the second week of September. I am trying to find the timetables of the buses of Thassos, as we would arrive in the afternoon, any info about till when they run? Thanks so much for the info. do you think it is better going from Keramoti to Thassos as from Kavala to Skala Prinos Port? thanks again
    edited August 2018
    The bus timetables changes during some months I don't think you will find them on line as they print them off and supermarkets put them in their windows obviously the bus station will have them.
    I have them photographed on my computer in June 2015 but not much help. Where are you intending going ?

Its on here

http://www.go-thassos.gr/thassos-bus-schedules-prices
    When I say cool down, the app I've been using is saying it's been 34oc last few weeks and going to 28 -27 end of next week … so it's not going to be cold by any stretch of the imagination. I found in July 32 was great for the beach but not for exploring, and we totally understand the reason for a siesta !! LOL
    I can't comment on the best ferry route to take as we've always gone Keramoti to Thassos, what I will say is that getting the ferry into Thassos Town will give you better transport options to wherever you're staying.
    edited August 2018
    Hi Travelchic,

If you're coming by car then I recommend taking the Keramoti - Limenas route because:
    1. Shorter & faster
    2. Slightly cheaper
    3. Offers more frequent ferry crossings throughout the day
    The weather in the middle of September is usually very pleasant with temperatures ranging between 25-30 degrees celsius (on average).
    Augie what would we do without you!
    Awww thanks, Leanne :)
    Thanks so much for that Link Delboy :# . Yes I think I will definetly go through Keramoti and rent a car if I have no time to catch the bus, which as I see, the last one is at 18:15 to Golden Beach. Our plane arrives to the airport at 16hs. I also expored in google and the towns&beaches on the other side of the island seem smaller and not so paradisiac <3 . Another option I might consider is spending the night in Thassos town (Limenas right?) and then go in the next morning to Golden beach or Paradise beach. Haven´t booked anything yet. Augie I am so happy to hear that temperatures range between 25-30 degrees in September B). Thanks so much again guys for your help