Help choosing a resort which is not too hilly

Home Places on Thassos

Help choosing a resort which is not too hilly

richrich Member Posts: 3
Hi all, we are hopefully coming to Thassos this September, we are travelling with my mother who has had ankle surgery and so is not good on hills or steps, can anyone recommend resorts that are fairly flat and accessible?

Thanks

Comments

• richrich Member Posts: 3
    I realise there are many resorts, so even if you can advise if an area's of the island is generally less hilly thst would be very useful
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Rich,

Most of the resorts are fairly flat but by the terrain of the island it all rises to a mountainside from what ever resort you pick. Also some accommodations are buried in the mountain side so be careful what you pick for accommodation.

Thassos Town would be fairly flat with the accommodation mainly on that level. But IMO does not have the best beaches but not sure what your priority is. The Town has the hub for buses to other parts of the island.
    We personally prefer Golden Beach but some of the accommodation like the Emerald would not suit you but others might

Delboy
  • richrich Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply Delboy, i should have mentioned we will hopefully have a hire car so getting around to different beaches etc will not be an issue, its just finding somewhere where mum can stroll around locally with ease.
    again it depends on your budget but in Golden Beach the Alexandra Boutique hotel with swimming pools and access to a white sandy beach all on the flat would be our ideal of heaven b/b. Annastia next door a much cheaper option but used the same part of the beach. Have a look at my trip reports on here especially the 2014 where I show Thassos Town. I do go up hills but you will see the Golden Beach to Skala Potamia walk is fairly flat
    as other options in Golden Beach
    Studios Stefanos opp campsite
    Princess Golden Beach (think its AI) has a backway out towards the beach which is flat.
    Hotel Korina about 8 mins to the beach and tavernas but heading Skala Potamia way shinge beach at that point but 100m to left sandy
    I can't give recommendations as not stayed in them
    Hotel Marina did not like the look of them on a quick visit but may suit others
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    I can only go off my experience which is skala rachoni is fairly flat, our hotel was directly on the beach and is very close to th bus stop
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    edited August 2018
    Hi Rich,

Generally, the terrain along most of the island's coastline is flat (as Delboy mentioned).

There are a couple of resorts that have vast expanses of flat terrain which would enable your mother to enjoy longer walks that are easier on her ankle (one of which Leanne already mentioned).
    1. Skala Rachoni
    2. Skala Prinos / Dasilio Prinos
    Both of these resorts are on the northern coast of Thassos, and I think the northern coast may be ideal for you because the sea is more calm (less or smaller waves). So your mother will be able to enjoy the sea with less strain/resistance on her ankle. I went for a swim in Skala Rachoni yesterday and it was just bliss! The water was warm, shallow, and very still, it was like swimming in a big bathtub. (great for me, not for surfers!) ;)