Trips to Philippi

Home General

Trips to Philippi

isavannahisavannah Member Posts: 1
Does anyone know if any travel agency on Thassos organises excursions to Philippi? Thank you!

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 818
    edited July 2017
    Hi Isavannah,

I've got some bad news and I've got some good new.

The :neutral: news:

I've contacted several travel agencies on Thassos for you and asked if they offer any excursions to Philippi. Unfortunately none of them do this year.

The :smiley: news:

There is a taxi service that offers point-to-point transfers to any destination in Macedonia and Thrace (northern Greece). You'll need to take the ferry from Thassos to Keramoti or Kavala, where the taxi will pick you up and take you straight to Philippi. The driver can stay with you throughout the day or drop you off and return to pick you up later, depending on the amount of time you'd like to spend in Philippi.

Half a day is enough for...

1) Exploring the ancient city, which was one of the mightiest and most prized cities of ancient times!

2) Seeing Saint Paul's jail cell, from which he wrote the letter to the Philippians, which is a part of the bible's new testament

3) Touring the museum of Philippi, from which you can look out a window and observe the massive battleground where Mark Antony and Octavian fought the leaders of Julius Caesar's assassination, Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus Brutus

It's well worth a visit and I highly recommend it!

If you're interested, here's the taxi service I mentioned above:

http://www.go-thassos.gr/visiting-thassos/transportation/airport-taxi-keramoti-thassos