Boat to the island.

Home Traveling to Thassos

Boat to the island.

terryessterryess Member (+) Posts: 7
The past two occasions (2003 & 2004) I have visited Thassos we have sailed to Limenas as we stayed at Skala Potamia. This year we are staying at Skala Prinou. I notice on my old maps and travel books that this is Thassos' second port. Do the boat sail direct to Skala Prinou for travellers staying in west coast resorts or is it still just to Limenas?

Comments

• AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    edited January 2016
    Hi Terryess,

There are 2 ferry routes to Thassos:

1) Keramoti -> Limenas (cheaper, faster and more frequent)
    2) Kavala -> Skala Prinos

You can find more information (and a map) about the routes on this page: http://www.go-thassos.gr/about-thassos/getting-to-thassos

If you will arrive via Kavala's airport you will be better off taking the ferry from Keramoti to Limenas and then taking the bus from Limenas to Skala Prinos.

If you will arrive via Thessaloniki's airport then perhaps Kavala to Skala Prinos is the better option for you... it depends on the ferry times and if they work in your favor. Ferries from Kavala are less frequent and take longer to cross, so sometimes it's faster to catch the next ferry from Keramoti. However, if you're in no hurry, Kavala is a beautiful city with sea-side cafes and restaurants where you can relax and enjoy the wait for the next ferry.

Does this answer your question?
  • terryessterryess Member (+) Posts: 7
    Thanks for helping. We've booked via Thomson's so really don't know which route they take. Perhaps I should have been more specific, sorry. Just wondering if anyone travelled with Thomson's to Skala Prinou last year. Thanks anyway Augie.
    No worries, Terryess. Indeed it's best to be specific. :)

Thomson's uses the Keramoti - Limenas route because it's much closer to the airport and therefore faster. When you arrive to Limenas you will then be driven by bus to Skala Prinos.
    Thanks Augie, that's the way we travelled before. Just have to watch out for those pesky seagulls!
    Also beware the mountain goats crossing the roads! :smiley:
    I'll have my own Troll sat next to me so that will scare them off!
  • AliceAlice Member (+) Posts: 4
    How long is the ferry from the airport to Limenas? Does it run regular, we are also traveling with Thomson in July
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    Hi Alice,

If you look at my two trip reports with photos which are in the reviews section I describe the whole journey Thomson's use, the only difference is we go on to Golden Beach and you would go to your resort in a different coach