Potamia festival

Home Events in Thassos

Potamia festival

Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
edited January 2014 in Events in Thassos
Last year whilst we were in Thassos there was a festival in Potamia that we visited,where the villagers had food they had made,a large stage with Greek singing and dancing taking place,and some other stalls with local products on sale.we were there the last 2 weeks of June, but cannot remember the date or what festival it was. We are returning again this year to Thassos,last week of June and first week of July,and would like to go to this festival again.
If anyone knows the name of the festival or the dates it is on would be grateful,
Many thanks in advance,

Best Answer

Answers

• GregoryGregory Member (+) Posts: 39
    Dear Adrian
    That was the " antamoma" the Greek word for a meeting, that takes place every year and all the cultural organizations of the island take place and some times from other places, close to the island. It does not have a standard date for this festival and it takes place in a different village every year. These organizations are very active and usually teach Greek dancing from all over Greece, even from places that are not Greek anymore. Mind you, they say, there are more than 6.000 Greek dances recorded. Usually the food and sweets are traditional of the villages. We are very proud of our traditions and we try to keep them alive and transfer the knowledge to the youngsters. Each group may have different shows in their own villages, watched from most of the locals.
    I do not know the date of this year happening. I will make sure that I will write the date and the place when I know about it.
  • Adrian LeeAdrian Lee Member (+) Posts: 126
    Many thanks,Gregory