Flying Dolphins

Home General

Flying Dolphins

DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
Hi Augie,

I have been asked if the Flying Dolphins have started up from Kavala town to Thassos Town. It was said to start in July 2018. Is there any news on it

Delboy

Comments

• Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    What is it del?
  • DelboyDelboy Member (+) Posts: 359
    It's a fast ferry service to Kavala City from the Thassos Town which ceased running and is said to be starting up again which would make it easy to visit the City itself
    https://www.atoz-guides.com/flying-dolphin-to-return-to-thassos-1/
  • Leanne1976Leanne1976 Member Posts: 144
    Ah I see .. thanks 😀
    Noted the blog I added have put an update and the Flying Dolphins are not operating this August and unlikely to start this year
  • AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 817
    Hi Delboy :)

I can confirm there will be no Flying Dolphin in Summer 2018.
    yes thank's Augie, a few were getting excited on hearing about it but have told them
    The same blog site is reporting the flying dolphins are in Thassos Town ready to start up a service tomorrow 11/3/2019 not sure if it is going to happen any news?.
    edited March 2019
    Good morning Delboy! :)

I saw the same blog post, and I also read a news article on a local news website, both claiming the flying dolphin will operate starting 11/03. This isn't the case, though.

After observing no flying dolphin in Limenas yesterday and this morning, I called the people in charge and they informed me that the information we read online was incorrect. They aren't sure when the dolphin will operate but apparently they are preparing.

If I hear any news I will let you know!
    Thanks Augie
    Update: No news, yet. :'(
    Thanks for the update Augie, seems like last year again, they are struggling to get the service going
    edited April 2019
    Update:

The "flying dolphin" (hydrofoil) is now operating daily between Kavala and Limenas, Thassos! We'll be adding the schedules and prices to Go-Thassos soon but for your convenience, here they are!

Valid through 15-05-2019

Monday-Friday
    From Kavala to Limenas: 07:00 - 09:00 - 14:00
    From Limenas to Kavala: 08:00 - 10:00 - 15:30

Saturday
    From Kavala to Limenas: 08:30 - 14:00
    From Limenas to Kavala: 09:30 - 15:15

*Journey time is 40 minutes

Prices (1-way ticket)
    Adults: 10€
    Kids (5-10): 5€
    Kids (0-5): Free
    University Students: 7.50€
    Seniors (65+): 7.50€
    Disabled: 7.50€
    Group of 25 people or more: 7.50€ each
    Season ticket (min. 3 round trips per week): 7.50€

Thanks Augie, I did hear they had one or two false starts but are going again now.
  • BiliBili Member Posts: 4
    Hi Augie, do you know if the same schedule for flying dolphins valid also end of August ? And how would be best to find and come to the departure place as we landing to Kavala airport on 24/8?
    Thank you in advance ! Birgit
    edited June 2019
    Hi Bili :)

If you're landing in Kavala's Airport (KVA) then your best option is booking a taxi and going from the airport to Keramoti. The ride is 20 euros and takes 10 minutes.

Book an airport taxi
    1. https://www.go-thassos.gr/visiting-thassos/transportation/airport-taxi-keramoti-thassos
    2. https://www.go-thassos.gr/visiting-thassos/transportation/airport-keramoti-taxi-giorgos
    Then take the ferry from Keramoti to Limenas

Ferry Schedule
    https://www.go-thassos.gr/thassos-ferry-schedules-prices
  • BiliBili Member Posts: 4
    Ill check! Thanks a lot!
  • Matt7361Matt7361 Member Posts: 2
    I'm contemplating doing this trip tomorrow. I notice the last ferry comes back quite early, would 3 hours be enough time of if I got the 10am from Thassos? (not bothered about going in museums) Also do you just turn up and buy tickets? Where is the ticket booth? What is the minimum time to allow before leaving?

Thanks

Matt
    Hi Matt :)

This morning we received word from the Dolphin company that it won't operate until further notice due to maintenance. As soon as we receive word that it's running again, we'll put the schedule back here: https://www.go-thassos.gr/thassos-flying-dolphin-schedules-prices

A day trip to Kavala is totally worthwhile! If you want to stay longer and not feel rushed to catch the last Dolphin, just take a regular ferry from Kavala to Skala Prinos, and then bus back to Limenas. It's really easy.

• Matt7361Matt7361 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the reply! I think I'll leave it til next time as I'm going home soon.