Money confiscated

Home Traveling to Thassos
Options

Money confiscated

At the moment in the UK news papers there's a lot of talk about the possibility on leaving Greece at the end of your holiday at the airports they could confiscate what ever money your taking back home with you and also the increase of mugging s are there any truths to this I've been to Thassos on many occasions at least fourteen times

Comments

• Options
    AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 819
    edited July 2015
    Absolutely not. There is no truth in that whatsoever. There is no way tourists will have their left-over vacation money confiscated as they are returning home. To me that sounds absurd.

Greek and European law only allow officials at airports to confiscate cash from travellers who carry more than €10,000 without declaring it to the authorities (ie. customs).

Read about it on the European Commission's website:
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_controls/cash_controls/index_en.htm

In regards to an "increase of mugging"... The financial situation has been difficult for many people in Greece but I've never heard of a single mugging on Thassos - ever - during the 9 years I've lived here. It's genuinely one of the safest places in the world where people take care of people.

I wouldn't believe everything in the UK news papers. :)
  • Options
    Richard GillRichard Gill Member (+) Posts: 3
    Thank you augie will be out in a couple of weeks have a good day
  • Options
    AugieAugie Administrator Posts: 819
    You're welcome, Richard!

Enjoy your time on Thassos and please tell everyone how wrong the media is when you see how things really are with you own eyes. :)
  • Options
    alinstouralinstour Member (+) Posts: 1
    Quite right Augie ...not only would I not believe everything I read in the UK press, I check the date! Only 25 sleeps and we'll be there!